PDA

View Full Version : Object/s Handling

ruejos
11-02-2003, 09:14 AM
Just like to know...........

Is there a technique in moving objects to place them in thier desired position?

I'm doing objects one at a time (or should i say a file at a time) and later on load it to different layers, which i know can make my work faster without slowing my pc. But what i would like to ask is, "is there a method or trick to move objects through a single handle or reference point?" . A kind of method Just like the ObjectSnap mode in autocadd, wherein you choose all the objects or parts you wanna move and use a single reference point to carry it to the desired location.

It's something that's gonna be handy coz i wanna do my own objects library and later on just insert these object as reference. as i have stated before in some of my preavious threads that my main use of lightwave is for architectural modelling.

Thank you.

Axis3d
11-02-2003, 03:30 PM
I'm not sure if I understand your question completely, but, yes there is a way of moving objects around by moving only one "reference point".
One method: In Modeler, when you create an object with many layers, you can Parent all of them to one null object in another layer. After you load this object into Layout, you can select this one null and everything will move with it into place.

If you've already loaded single objects into Layout and want to move them as a group, you could add a null to the scene, then open the Scene Editor, multi-select everything, and parent it to this null. Make sure Scene > Globals > Parent in Place is on so your objects dont snap from their positions you've already set for them.

11-03-2003, 06:03 AM
Think of the LW scene like a 'master' ACAD file into which you have xreffed all the objects, and then realise that you can attatch those objects together in hierarchies, when you move an object, everything beneath it in the hierarchy moves too.
Sadly there is not any easy way of doing 'snap to' type things in LW - for super exact positioning. but don't worry about it ! - no-one is going to machine a shape to the nearest micron off a LW file !
If you want to build up a library of objects, think hard about where each object's '0,0,0' is, if you are systematic about it then when you substitute one object for another it might appear where you expect it !
Remember that you can make an object with several components by putting one or more components on each layer, and 'pre-parent' them in modler/windows/layer_browser so they come on to layout with a hierarchy intact.

ruejos
11-03-2003, 09:41 AM
Thanks Axis & Adrian

Guess it going to be a lot of learning before i could master LW. Well, constant practice maybe could help me in developing my LW skills - maybe one day i could make a plug-in that could help me in my problems now. If that day came i willingly be sharing such ideas to all for free.

Again thank you.

:p