PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble editing/understanding UV maps

G.o.D
11-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Hi there,

i recently decided to reduce my software license costs by switching to full lightwave. So now i want to edit my UV's in lightwave too. Until now i did it in XSI or Modo and i am quite experienced in uv editing in these packages, but in lightwave i have my troubles.

Do i really have to unweld polygons before editing UV's? I often end up with single dot's in the UV view (that i don't know how to un-single them) or totally crazy results when not unwelded?

Are there any good tutorials or docs out there, free or commercial, that go into UV'in details? (i tried the official manual, thats why i ended up always unwelding everything before doing anything and then merge again, but this can't be the official way?)

Thanx in advance

Sensei
11-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Do you know that when you have enabled Free Move in UV viewport you can just select polygon and start moving it and uvs will be disconnected?

G.o.D
11-26-2012, 11:21 AM
didn't know that, thanx, but still it leaves these 'ghost' vertices around when i move them that way:

MarcusM
11-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Remember few very helpfull things :]
"Shift" + "-" deleting selected polygons and (red ;p) points from UV map
"-" - hide
"+" - hide unselected
"\" - show all
"?" - deselect
Copying polygons from one to another UV map you can do in Vertex Maps window->right MB-> copy and type full name.
Chceck PLG UV tools - http://homepage2.nifty.com/nif-hp/index2_english.htm

This cone on upper image - first copy/delete/paste top and bottom polygon, then cut one side polygon, merge this one with next to (M), next make UV cylindrical.
Sometimes for good UV you must unconnect polygons and merge after (if you need).

dwburman
11-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Kevin Philips made a series of videos on making one of the weapons from District 9. The second video was all about UV mapping it using LW's native tools.

You can buy the UV video separately or as part of the combo pack
http://www.liberty3d.com/?s=fanboy&x=0&y=0

There are a few more hours left in the Thanksgiving sale. You can save 25% when using the coupon code 'turkeyday' when checking out.