PDA

View Full Version : why do particles and hypervoxels refuse to come back when reloaded.

stylus10
11-26-2012, 07:14 AM
i have bunch of emitters on a skyship as hot-rod type fire effects and every time i reload them the settings, which are the same as before, seem to do nothing. the particles are off of scale, invisibly small, and the hypervoxels render nothing. i mess with settings and get nothing. i have to clear everything out and start over. this takes hours. thanks in advance if you can help me. d.

nickdigital
11-26-2012, 08:35 AM
Are you saving the particle pfx file to disk?

stylus10
11-26-2012, 09:12 AM
no i have not. and i have not done this to other particle files without issues. the particles simply behave as before. but you are telling me i should do this always now?

dwburman
11-26-2012, 09:52 AM
It wouldn't hurt, and the pfx would ensure that the particle motion is consistent every time you load the scene.

Have you tried simply calculating the dynamics as soon as the scene opens? Maybe the particles are getting so complex that LW can't properly play them on the fly so they aren't where you expect them to be.

If that doesn't work, I don't know why it looks like you're losing your settings. Maybe you've stumbled onto a nasty bug. You might be able to save yourself some reconstruction time by saving the emitter settings (there are Save and Load buttons on the File tab for of the emitter FX panel) and making presets of the HV files. It's not really a solution, though. You may need to try a simplified version of the scene and see if you have the same problem with losing settings (if that's what's going on) and submit that as a bug report with the scene file.

stylus10
11-26-2012, 10:31 AM
excellent suggestions. i do get the feeling that i have crossed the 'complexity' threshold somehow. rather than bust my head open on this, i will just save various ways as per your advise and maybe one day it'll come to me. thanks.

Sensei
11-26-2012, 11:59 AM
i have bunch of emitters on a skyship as hot-rod type fire effects and every time i reload them the settings, which are the same as before, seem to do nothing. the particles are off of scale, invisibly small, and the hypervoxels render nothing. i mess with settings and get nothing. i have to clear everything out and start over. this takes hours. thanks in advance if you can help me. d.

Did you click Calculate button after loading scene?

stylus10
11-26-2012, 12:57 PM
i didn't need to before. then i added some cloth effects.... i will now

jeric_synergy
11-26-2012, 01:56 PM
please let us know if you figure it out.

Chrusion
11-26-2012, 05:23 PM
And just a tip Stylus if you didn't know, IF you render over a network, you MUST save calculated dynamics and particles as MDD / PFX files or you WILL get jumping particles and jittering dynamics.