PDA

View Full Version : LWM: Cone primitive: putting the pointy bit where you want it

jeric_synergy
11-24-2012, 10:49 PM
When you use the CONE generator in LWM, the point of the cone always faces in the PLUS direction on the axis it's using. You can make it point the other way using the Numeric panel, but as soon as you click your mouse in the main UI, it snaps back.

This is awkward, and silly. There needs to be a way for the user to say "+/-".

(sheesh)

meshpig
11-25-2012, 12:15 AM
Nah, it works both ways here. Bottom + top - and vice versa. No problem:)

jeric_synergy
11-25-2012, 01:10 AM
Nah, it works both ways here. Bottom + top - and vice versa. No problem:)
Really? Here, if you drag the point with the mouse past the base, suddenly you're dragging the base, and vice versa. The cone itself always points in the + direction of the axis it's aligned on.

NOT the numeric input. If one DOES use the numeric panel to set the cone on the minus direction, as soon as you try to adjust with the mouse it snaps back to + direction.

Win or Mac? (Win here)

meshpig
11-26-2012, 02:08 AM
...Mac. Ah, I see what you mean. Whilst the tool's parameters are open... dare I say these were the sorts of issues hotly debated years ago with LWCore. Doesn't make a lot of difference to me whether you draw a cone in place or drop the tool and move or use the numeric pane. That's modeler :)

jeric_synergy
11-26-2012, 10:59 AM
...Mac. Ah, I see what you mean. Whilst the tool's parameters are open... dare I say these were the sorts of issues hotly debated years ago with LWCore. Doesn't make a lot of difference to me whether you draw a cone in place or drop the tool and move or use the numeric pane. That's modeler :)
:beerchug: I'm not sure what you mean by that, is it "I use the Numeric Panel exclusively"?

Anyway, I can't imagine what the original coder (heck, probably Stuart) was thinking: to MOI, once a side of the tool's bounding box is associated with either the base or the tip of the cone, it should "stick" with it, i.e. dragging the tip side moves the tip, dragging the base side moves the base.

I doubt any dev has given a look at the Cone tool in twelve years or more. So, it's very weak.

And I never mention CORE. >|^P

jeric_synergy
11-26-2012, 11:11 AM
fogged it....

53383: LWM: Cone primitive: putting the pointy bit where you want it

When you use the CONE generator in LWM, the point of the cone _always_ faces in the PLUS direction on the axis it's using. You can make it point the other way using the Numeric panel, but as soon as you click your mouse in the main UI, it snaps back.

If you drag the point of the cone with the mouse past the base, suddenly you're dragging the base, and vice versa. The cone itself always points in the + direction of the axis it's aligned on.

If one DOES use the numeric panel to set the cone on the minus direction, as soon as you try to adjust with the mouse it snaps back to + direction. This is very UNintuitive.

I suggest this behavior wastes user time. Once a side of the tool's bounding box is associated with either the base or the tip of the cone, it should "stick" with it, i.e. dragging the tip side moves the tip, dragging the base side moves the base.

Plus, a simple "+/-" radio button in the Numeric Panel would allow the user to EASILY flip the cone to point in the opposite direction. In fact, "FLIP" as a label would be better button label, as it is not state-dependent.