PDA

View Full Version : interesting tech

Bytehawk
11-23-2012, 06:51 AM
https://leapmotion.com/

Wonder how fast we can get lightwave or zbrush to work with it...

Cheers,

klinetime
07-31-2013, 12:32 AM
Is anyone working on a plug-in for the Leap motion device and virtual studio?
I just received the leap motion device.
It looks like a natural fit for virtual studio.

bazsa73
07-31-2013, 12:44 AM
Working with it while having upheld your hand in midair? CG artists need to develop concrete muscles first lol.

hrgiger
07-31-2013, 02:32 AM
I don't know, I don't see it being really that inutituive for 3D content creation. without the tactile sense of working with something physical, I don't see being incredibly accurate. It may record your hand movements accurately but I don't see it being an improvement over a wacom tablet or mouse. Considering I can often work for several hours in front of the computer, I can't see how that would work holding my arms up for extended pieriods making the motions to manipulate a scene.

bazsa73
07-31-2013, 02:50 AM
I don't know, I don't see it being really that inutituive for 3D content creation. without the tactile sense of working with something physical, I don't see being incredibly accurate. It may record your hand movements accurately but I don't see it being an improvement over a wacom tablet or mouse. Considering I can often work for several hours in front of the computer, I can't see how that would work holding my arms up for extended pieriods making the motions to manipulate a scene.
it can work in an airport terminal or in a hospital, can't be more hygienic

UnCommonGrafx
07-31-2013, 04:45 AM
Ya know,
I think that's where it will be relegated: touchless kiosks.

The lack of feedback is indeed the problem this device will have. I will put it through it's paces as an instructional device in class but I see it more as a novelty at this juncture.

The Wii was bad enough in getting us to flail in public but at least it had some feedback.

I want this thing for motion capture, where I think it has a chance to succeed.

khan973
07-31-2013, 04:52 AM
There is a plug-in for Maya.
It looks a bit clumsy but I'm sure somebody can come up with a great idea.
http://area.autodesk.com/mayaleapplugin

Danner
07-31-2013, 06:21 AM
I do think we will use things like this in the future, but they are not quite there yet. jittery tracking annoying delay.. It's great in theory but it doesn't work like in the promo videos yet.

hrgiger
07-31-2013, 06:28 AM
it can work in an airport terminal or in a hospital, can't be more hygienic

those could be very useful and i see things headed in that direction. i just dont see it as more beneficial or advantageous to current input devices for 3D apps. looks like a toy to me.