PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave idea - Backface Select

erikals
11-23-2012, 06:43 AM
hi,

some nerds pressed dislike, but what's to dislike about this feature?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtv9toEZoYU

BeeVee
11-23-2012, 01:44 PM
You should set up your numeric keypad to show different rendering styles. That'll be faster than clicking on an option on the viewport.

B

erikals
11-23-2012, 04:55 PM
that's actually a good option, but i do not have a numpad on this keyboard though,
and LW can't change a numpad shortcut :/ hmm, what to do... maybe autohotkey remap can help...
http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/misc/Remap.htm

BeeVee
11-24-2012, 02:56 AM
Either that or just pony up for a USB numeric keypad. They are widely available... ;)

B

probiner
11-24-2012, 03:28 AM
Not a good idea... :P XSI does that you are asking for, but the thing is you can't actually see what is getting selected, especially on perspective, so wireframe beats it.

erikals
11-24-2012, 04:10 AM
yeah, think i was wrong on this one,
best thing might be a semi-transparent mode, but like you say, wireframe usually beats shaded.

thanks, i still want a better shortcut, but i'm gonna look into it via autohotkeys.

ok, "closed". thanks :]

Sensei
11-24-2012, 04:53 AM
some nerds pressed dislike, but what's to dislike about this feature?

LOL, you should not say "nerd" because now you have 4 dislikes :D

Erikals, you should start programming OpenGL in C/C++. You would know that the fastest and the best selection method uses gfx card acceleration. I have been writing it in mine game engines, two different methods, both using OpenGL. One of implementations is simply writing additional buffers while rendering on screen. And lasso tool might be just reading that buffer. Obviously in such case Textured (and similar modes with back-face culling) contains only what is front most visible from viewport camera and nothing else.. Simply these data what you want might not exist..

erikals
11-24-2012, 05:03 AM
hehe, actually i had 2, the 2 other ones came after i posted here :]
it might have worked though, a guy on YT took the bait, and left a small outburst.
that's often a trick to get a guy to "step on the gluestick" as we say over here... :]

hm, i pretty much suck at programming :] missing the interest i guess, also afraid of those languages changing.
ain't got time, unfortunately..

(hey, btw, a bit over half-way finished the reply to the plugin questions, could you PM me your email address?)

Lewis
11-24-2012, 11:02 AM
It's perfectly valid FR, nothing wrong in Backface selectign mode. MAX has it also and it works just fine and it has it's usage, if you know what you are doing i.e. that you are selecting through :). It might seem weird for LWavers 'coz we are used to switch to wireframe (which i do have mapped to mouse button (so it's fast) but sometime i'd like to select through without need to switch 'coz LWM refresh BLINK screen when switching modes is irritating and it can take few seconds to switch to different mode with hi-poly stuff just to select something and then switch back....) but hey we need progress not just old way of working ;).

Send it to Fogbuz erikals :).

LW_Will
11-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Or... select foreground polygons, hit select loop (right arrow) and you've got the back polys. From there, you can expand and contract the selection using the } or { keys.

Lewis
11-25-2012, 01:33 AM
Or... select foreground polygons, hit select loop (right arrow) and you've got the back polys. From there, you can expand and contract the selection using the } or { keys.

In this case might work (it's still slower process anyway and we know all workarounds ;)) but what about other case where loop isn't present or you have lot of trigons etc. etc...