PDA

View Full Version : Knife tool

dblanky
11-02-2003, 03:52 AM
when it comes to modelling i find the knife tool to be a primitive compared to the knife tool in programs such as 3ds max and such. shouldnt you really be able to click on the edge or points of polys each time so u can direct where your going, rather than have to cut each one then weld the points together? its just and idea.

Mylenium
11-02-2003, 06:05 AM
There are toolst hat can do that like FI's Jigsaw. However, I agree on your request. The behavior should also be changed in a way that it only cuts the actual polys when you press Enter. The current "interactive cutting" is quite slow with large models and can even kill your clean geometry.

Mylenium

Elmar Moelzer
11-02-2003, 06:42 AM
Hmm, I dont know what you mean?
To split polygons along their points, I use the "split" tool.
The Knife tool works quite well IMHO and it is pretty fast.
The only point of critizsim I see are the additional points that appear inside a polygon at the ends of a cut (maybe you mean this). They are quickly deleted though.
CU
Elmar

evenflcw
11-02-2003, 08:40 AM
EdgeTools\Add Edge is the equivalent of Cut/Split Poly in LW. Get it free from dStorm (distributor of LW in Asia):
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dslib/index-e.html

hrgiger
11-02-2003, 09:08 AM
I think Elmar he means cutting across multiple polygons, you can only cut in a straight line with the knife tool. I asked for something similar before, something like a knife tool only with points along the length of the knife guide that you could adjust as you cut. Sort of like an interactive bandsaw tool.

Elmar Moelzer
11-02-2003, 04:50 PM
Hmm, ok
I usually use the drill- tool for that.
I really like the way the knife- tool works, quick and easy.
CU
Elmar