PDA

View Full Version : Item List and Selection Order

Chrusion
11-22-2012, 07:48 AM
Is there a preference setting in LW that turns off what appears to be a Parent-Child hierarchy selection order?

That is, when I use the cursor up/down keys to select the next/previous object/item in the list (in the physical order it was loaded/added from the currently selected obj/item), what is selected instead is the CHILD or PARENT of the next/previous obj/item.

This is highly annoying and a hindrance to my workflow as I want to select the next/previous item in the order I loaded/added them to the scene, REGARDLESS of whether they are parented or not. Because I can't, I have to take the time to scroll thru the list to get to the item that is "physically" next or previous to the currently selected item, which takes extra time to move the mouse and extra clicks, slowing me down.

Sensei
11-22-2012, 08:21 AM
There is no one dimensional list of items like you think..

In other words - when plugin is scanning items, there are appearing only top parent items. Then plugin has to check every single item whether it has child, then scan again, and so on, recursively.

But it should be possible to make two plugins, which will be checking what LWItemID is selected, and searching for LWItemID+1 (or -1), and selecting it instead.

Chrusion
11-22-2012, 09:10 AM
Ahhh... so the item selection is done by a plugin? Interesting. Is it internally coded or an external file? Either way it looks like it becomes a Feature Request to have such a linear selection option added as a preference toggle. Bummer, cuz I know that will never happen.

Sensei
11-22-2012, 09:19 AM
What for this sarcasm?
I didn't program it this way in Layout.
But I think current arrow up/down in Layout are working correctly.
You want something different.
So, I am telling that maybe plugin can do it.

evenflcw
11-22-2012, 02:14 PM
You have native commands both for Next Sibling (hierarchical selection) and Next Item (creation order based selection; "itemid+1"). Use the the shortcut configuration to bind whatever you want. No plugin needed. It might even already be mapped to a key (clearly just not the one you're using).

BeeVee
11-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Ctrl-Up and Ctrl-Down select Previous and Next Sibling.

B

Chrusion
11-24-2012, 12:14 PM
You have native commands both for Next Sibling (hierarchical selection) and Next Item (creation order based selection; "itemid+1"). Use the the shortcut configuration to bind whatever you want.
Just now able to check Key Config and up/down keys ARE assigned to Select Next/Previous Item, not Select Next/Previous Sibling. Selection still occurs according to parent-child hierarchy when using the up/down keys.