PDA

View Full Version : Forced perspective book: construction???

jeric_synergy
11-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Given the attached image:

And the knowledge that I'll be dropping small items onto the pages of the book, how do I, with the existing toolset, construct a mesh that will correctly capture shadows from the small items? I mean, the mesh should extend in the Z-axis for a ways to present a flat surface, no?

Just to make things difficult, I have to do a 'book-opening' and a page turn too, so the solution should be compatible with that as well.

(Fun!)

nickdigital
11-20-2012, 05:28 PM
You should be able to extrude that shape you've outlined down Z. Then load that up into Layout and adjust the camera until it lines up against the background image while keeping the book level on Y=0. That's how I'd do it. It's all by hand so if someone has a more exact workaround I'd love to hear it.

jeric_synergy
11-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Indeed. The lining up part (already tried it) ain't too much fun.

I'm sure there's a procedure that involves Camera Projection mapping that, when followed step by (bloody) step, would give satisfactory results. I'll just have to develop it myself.

BTW, it's turns out I dodged this bullet, but a perfectly adequate job was done in C4D. I was going to have to recreate it in LW, but got saved. Unfortunately the operator was not the most verbose individual in the world and he didn't say much about how the construction went in C4D. Looked good, and extended somewhat in the Z, but was definitely some forced perspective going on.

EDIT:

You should be able to extrude that shape you've outlined down Z.
:stumped: Actually, would that work? I mean, I have the top edge of the book in the image. What I need is a perfect trace of that, easy in 2d, but it'll be in perspective in Layout and hence 'smaller' it won't line up..... :stumped: 8~ :bangwall:

lertola2
11-20-2012, 07:15 PM
What do you mean by 'forced perspective'?

jeric_synergy
11-20-2012, 07:19 PM
What do you mean by 'forced perspective'?
Forced perspective is used to make things look MORE like what they are doing in perspective, versus a straight flat illusion.

To save typing I'll say Wikipedia no doubts covers it extensively. It's a good trick to have in your toolbox.

Trying to get away from the purely flat illusion is difficult.