PDA

View Full Version : Adaptive Sampling passes count. Stop render and keep whatever was already processed.

probiner
11-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Basically 2 requests

A - Adaptive Sampling passes count
So I know how many passes I'll have left, or at least how many it did already.

B - Keep whatever was already done when a render is aborted.
Some renders end up during dozens of minutes and sometimes you notice that you could change something to the settings or the scene, but still you want to keep whatever was rendered already and don't want to wait for all the passes to finish, just move on to the editing.

Cheers

https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?53228_e4tdm5la

lertola2
11-20-2012, 07:20 PM
I really like the idea of keeping what was already done.

3dworks
11-21-2012, 02:31 AM
both very good ideas! +1

- - - Updated - - -

both very good ideas! +1

Hail
11-21-2012, 09:00 AM
+1
Your avatar looks busted though :D

probiner
11-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Open firefox :p
or install chrome's add-on. Search for APNG at https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions

Cheers

djlithium
07-31-2013, 06:24 AM
Good idea! :)

Tobian
07-31-2013, 07:42 AM
+1

Also, LW needs to update the estimated time remaining with regards to how many minimum samples there are vs how many max samples there are. It calculates the time remaining based on the number of sub-passes it has to run, however, if you have min samples anything other than 1, then the estimate is wildly wrong.

For example, you set 8 min and 32 max - it will do 25 sub-passes (the initial one, plus another 24 to make it up to 32) - however it estimates the remaining 24 passes will take as long as the initial 8 sample pass, which can make the estimate 8x as long in that example. I know it can't ever really know how long it will take, but perhaps a little behind the scenes maths to divide the eta by the min samples etc?

In addition to the above comments, I'd like the ability to save out what we have, and not abort... Pretty much like you could do with Fprime really.

ben martin
07-31-2013, 07:54 AM
You have my vote for both requests. +2

zardoz
07-31-2013, 07:54 AM
to me it would be nice to render the camera view and keep rendering regions over the previous render. guys here with vray do the render in final res and keep doing render regions to correct errors and every new region render is kept over the previous render...

Tobian
07-31-2013, 08:17 AM
zardoz: for that you would need stable radiosity. I often do this manually for my renders, but then there are differences between the radiosity solutions, so I usually have to soft blend the two together, with the paintbrush in PS.

probiner
07-31-2013, 08:46 AM
In addition to the above comments, I'd like the ability to save out what we have, and not abort... Pretty much like you could do with Fprime really.
I would say this is the smartest approach. Just a Save button. Then if one want to cancel, it can. Because seems strange you Abort the render before you actually Save it :)

Cheers

zardoz
07-31-2013, 09:24 AM
yes tobian, you are right. We would need a nice, stable solution for GI for this to work or else we would have a weird checker board in the end

probiner
08-05-2013, 05:56 PM
Oh oh oh another great idea:

I was rendering a pack and had put 32 AS passes. Now, that wasn't enough and probably a more experienced waver would have gone higher right from the start. But... All I wanted was not more GI or change anything I just wanted more AA passes to kill the blurry reflections noises. And now I had to start all over just to add more AA passes. So.... why not... if possible... have a toggable option:

At each frame render, when AS AA passes are finished generate an image preview, show it to the user and ask "You Need Moar AA passes on that, dude?" If so, do them and repeat the question, if not proceed to the post-filter effects and and finish the render :)
This is most useful when one is trying to get a sweat spot for best render quality and times. This would allow one to do like, increments on zk passes until the result is beneath the goal standards without having to do the mesh freezing, pre-processes, GI, first pass and all the others all over again just to get those extra ones. When the right number of AA passes is found, have this disabled and render the stills or animations normally.

Cheers

Tobian
08-05-2013, 06:02 PM
To do that you'd need to have access to the GI pass and the whole geometry buffer, otherwise all you're doing is doing 'noise reduction' which is a post effect. I agree, I'd love this too, just like in Fprime, but there'd need to be some sort of auto-buffer-save to be able to do that. That said I'd love to see some of the higher-manifold noise cleanup techniques implemented in LW, making use of all the available buffers, to stop it making the image soft/blury like most noise reduction techniques do.

Tobian
08-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Such as this > http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~eslgastal/AdaptiveManifolds/

probiner
08-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Such as this > http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~eslgastal/AdaptiveManifolds/

The video makes a nice wrap. I guess would be a better approach :D

Cheers