PDA

View Full Version : LW 11.2 - OBJ Import Export ?

madno
11-18-2012, 03:24 AM
Hi,
I tried LW OBJ export, to UV in UVLayout.
Got double sided, a vertex map, exclude from Vstack after obj import.
Thought because of UVLayout.
But it also happens when just using LW obj export and directly import again without opening in any third party software.
Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help.

jwiede
11-18-2012, 06:27 AM
The normal vmaps were added because you told the OBJ exporter to write normals (see the switch in OBJ export prefs). The double-sided and "exclude from vstack" flags being activated do appear to be a bug, though, and worth reporting -- neither should really be activated "by default" on OBJ import, IMO.

madno
11-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Thanks,
I sent a report via Fogbuz.
Not familiar with the vertex maps, so didn't know that wirte normals means, make a vertex map.
By the way, is there an aternative way to echange obj files?
I like to avoid to check and fix each surface whenever I exported it to another app.

Sensei
11-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Export is buggy - there is written just one normal vector per vertex.
(But there is needed one normal vector per vertex per polygon)
So after importing there is everything smoothed- you like see in your cube.

I will have to write mine own OBJ exporter (1h of work or so) and put to TrueArt's Modeling Pack http://modelingpack.trueart.eu
because I am often using OBJ export and see and suffer because of this issue.

madno
11-19-2012, 01:37 AM
Hello Sensei,
can you consider to make it an OBJ importer / exporter as a stand alone plugin for a little bit lower price? I would buy that immediately ;-)

madno
11-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Just got an email from cs saying they reproduced the described behaviour and have aasigned the issue to a developer. Sensei, maybe you can add a ticket as well, as your description would be more technical detailed than mine? Of course that could mean that 11.5 will have a fixed obj import, export and you might sell less plugin licenses (if you decide to make such a plug in).