PDA

View Full Version : how to join a cube to a circle?

Johnny
11-01-2003, 09:00 PM
I have a situation in which I have a solid rectangular object whose cross-section I would like to become circular, but I can't figure out how to join them..

they each have the same number of segments. I have tried selecting points and using the Make Poly command, but I get mangled distortion..doesn't seem like the right way.

In a way, what I want to do is like skinning, except that I already have something with volume that I want to 'skin' to a circle..if that makes sense.. as opposed to a series of splines.

thank you for any clues!

Johnny

themaxx
11-01-2003, 09:39 PM
When you select the points and choose make poly, are you selecting the points in the order that you'd like them connected?

A screenshot might be helpful. I'm not 100% certain that I understand what you're trying to do.

Tom Wood
11-01-2003, 09:49 PM
Don't remember Make Poly, but there is Morph Polygons on page 24.18 that seems to do what you want.

TW

pauland
11-02-2003, 05:44 AM
I have tried selecting points and using the Make Poly command, but I get mangled distortion..doesn't seem like the right way.

I suspect that when you are selecting your points, you are selecting more than one point at each stage - for example, you've selected 7 points when you only meant to select four.

The other thing may be that the resulting polys are non-planar and will need to be split to make them planar.

Lastly, why did you ask a general modelling question in a Mac-specific forum?

Paul

Johnny
11-02-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by pauland
[Lastly, why did you ask a general modelling question in a Mac-specific forum?

Paul

Sorry! just force of habit, I guess..I've moved my question to 'General,' and included a screen capture of the thing I'm trying to describe.

J