PDA

View Full Version : I need a laptop for LightWave on the go is this one a great choice?

Shnoze Shmon
11-17-2012, 09:54 PM
When I'm not sitting at my desktop what do I want to have in front of me? Is the one linked to below really a good idea?

As long as I'm spending the money I want the biggest screen I can get so 17.3" seems to be it. What I don't know is if I've picked a great one for LightWave.

Is this one a good solution? Is there a better one I should know about?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/402621/ENVY_dv7-7292nr_173_Laptop_Computer_-_Midnight_Black

Dexter2999
11-17-2012, 10:20 PM
Nice size screen, good RAM and CPU. I've had descent luck with HP.

I just have no interest in Windows 8.

Eagle66
11-18-2012, 11:29 AM

http://www.microcenter.com/product/402621/ENVY_dv7-7292nr_173_Laptop_Computer_-_Midnight_Black

Its a consumer product.

I can recommend HP Elitebook 8540p with NVIDIA Quadro FX Card and for lower price a 2nd Hand from the HP renew Program.

Shnoze Shmon
11-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Nice size screen, good RAM and CPU. I've had descent luck with HP.

I just have no interest in Windows 8.

Good to hear the HP feedback. Yeah I try to avoid an OS until it's been out for a year, but Laptops always come with the latest "Stuff" on them. That's one reason I build my own PCs, more control of what I get and cheaper too. But you can't build your own laptop.

Its a consumer product.

I can recommend HP Elitebook 8540p with NVIDIA Quadro FX Card and for lower price a 2nd Hand from the HP renew Program.

Thanks for introducing me to the difference of consumer vs business laptops. From my initial pass at this issue it looks like the business side offers ruggedness (pro) and more expensive warranties(con), but the consumer side has the high end graphics capabilities (pro), and junk software(con).

Thanks for the suggestion on the Elitebook. The problems with that one are it's smaller, a lot less powerful, and only a 32 bit system. I'm wanting to go ahead and get a high end 64 bit system with massive graphics capabilities, because it's purpose IS LightWave. Other operations are a low second consideration.

Again, I appreciate your replies!

Further input from anybody is desirable.

Thanks

Shnoze Shmon
01-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Got the laptop and I couldn't be happier about it. Of course it comes with windows 8 and since my desktop is XP 32bit the laptop blows it away just by yawning and the learning curve on the new OS is also high.

Since the laptop renders 6, 7, 8 times faster I like to use it for that, but have a problem in that a render saved out as a jpg is not saved as a jpg but as a "file". And the same with a scene. Not as a lws but as a "file". This problem doesn't occur with modeler.

While I can rename each "file" and make it work - THAT is a PAIN!

Making great strides to learn win8 (like unpinning all the junk and pinning the apps I want or using Skype without going through my Microsoft account) but I haven't figured this one out and now I'm calling for help. :help:

Tried to find this on the other win8 threads but that's not whats being discussed... :oye:

allabulle
01-07-2013, 03:08 PM
For my laptop I downloaded Skype as you do normally. No problem at all. I don't use the one that comes with Win8. I just pin to the bar the software I use and once logged in Win I just jump to the desktop. Although I feared it a lot, I haven't found any great downsides with Win8 so far.

Shnoze Shmon
01-07-2013, 03:53 PM
For my laptop I downloaded Skype as you do normally. No problem at all. I don't use the one that comes with Win8. I just pin to the bar the software I use and once logged in Win I just jump to the desktop. Although I feared it a lot, I haven't found any great downsides with Win8 so far.

Yep that's what I did as well.

So you haven't run into the issue with saving jpg and lws without extensions?

allabulle
01-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Nope, everything's fine here. You might want to check if it's the explorer that's hiding the extension in the folder view. Could it be so?

Serling
01-07-2013, 04:54 PM
When I'm not sitting at my desktop what do I want to have in front of me? Is the one linked to below really a good idea?

As long as I'm spending the money I want the biggest screen I can get so 17.3" seems to be it. What I don't know is if I've picked a great one for LightWave.

That's the same laptop I'll be ordering through Costco's HP Customization site, except I'll be getting mine with 16 GB Ram, 750 GB 7200 RPM drive (I like the faster albeit smaller drive) and the Blu-Ray burner. So I'd say, yes, that looks like a very good machine. :) I'm going to have to invest in Windows 7, though. What I've seen and heard of Windows 8, I don't like.

prometheus
01-07-2013, 05:25 PM
the most specs are good in there, except for the harddrive, seems to be to slow speed, 7200 rpm at least, better yet solid state drives, but that will cost.

Shnoze Shmon
01-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Nope, everything's fine here. You might want to check if it's the explorer that's hiding the extension in the folder view. Could it be so?

No they can't be opened by the programs that should open them and they had the same issue when I took it to my other computer.

the most specs are good in there, except for the harddrive, seems to be to slow speed, 7200 rpm at least, better yet solid state drives, but that will cost.

Well getting it for just one grand was a big important part of why I got it.

allabulle
01-07-2013, 06:12 PM
How strange. Here it works just fine. Other than cleaning config files -in case they got corrupted- and uninstalling and installing LightWave again if the new configs won't work I don't know what else could be done to fix it.

LW_Will
01-07-2013, 11:41 PM
Shmon, in Win8, on the desktop side, I go into the folder options on the Control Panel and turn off the "hide extensions of known files"... that usually fixes that problem. Hate that function.

Shnoze Shmon
01-08-2013, 04:09 PM
How strange. Here it works just fine. Other than cleaning config files -in case they got corrupted- and uninstalling and installing LightWave again if the new configs won't work I don't know what else could be done to fix it.

Deleting the config files worked. Thanks.

Shmon, in Win8, on the desktop side, I go into the folder options on the Control Panel and turn off the "hide extensions of known files"... that usually fixes that problem. Hate that function.

Hate it too. Thanks for directing me to that. I didn't realize you could get to the control panel from the desktop side.

allabulle
01-08-2013, 05:59 PM
I'm glad it helped. :)