PDA

View Full Version : "Gas Station" Lightwave 3D Short Film

caralvive
11-17-2012, 07:02 PM
Hello guys,
Here is my new 3D animated short film "Gas Station". A little reminder for those who like to drive around with a low gas tank!
I used Lightwave 3D and Ipi Soft motion capture system mixed traditional key-framing to create this little terrifying story.
I'm actually profesional LA based film composer (www.carlosvivas.com (http://www.carlosvivas.com)) so music was for me the easy part, on the score I chose to mix harmonies of traditional horror film music blended with a little modern touch...Enjoy!
I would like to thank to the LW community for all the tutorials, tips and Plugins, they really help!.....Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52F5J8BZ634

Regards,

Carlos Vivas
www.carlosvivas.com (http://www.carlosvivas.com)

lertola2
11-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Very nice. Well done. I love the forest and lightning effects.

djwaterman
11-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Great little bit of staging, you created a whole mood for this world of the bean.

bobakabob
11-18-2012, 03:20 AM
Yes the lighting was especially good and there were some nice touches of humour e.g. The view into the car with the sound effect of the engine.

skype6
11-18-2012, 08:55 AM
I like it :) Hahaha.... realy nice animation!

erikals
11-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Great job Carlos! :]

it's really cool to see what you pulled off, i know it had to take quite a bit of time to rig / animate / render.
:king:

caralvive
11-19-2012, 01:07 AM
Thank you guys, I really appreciate your comments.

You are right Erikals, something like this takes time, although I have to say it wasn't that bad in this particular short since I had Cafiņo (the main character) already modeled and rigged (I used it in another project 6 years ago)

The Zombies are just clones from Cafiņo with a couple of variations, so it actually took me less than 4 weeks (about 6 hours per day) to pull everything out, including extra modeling, animation, rendering, compositing, music scoring, sound design and final editing, probably not too bad for a decent looking short film.

I recorded and retarged the main motions for all my characters with Ipi Soft Mocap system in two days, fingers and facial expresions are all hand animated.
Staging and lighting where probably the 2 elements that took more time from my pipeline, I tent to be very picky with the composition of my shoots, and don't even make me start with camera movements...lol!

Anyway, I have to say that in my experience I think pretty much everything in lightwave is achived very quickly!...that's why I love it!

sony
11-20-2012, 01:36 PM
funny

Daphne
11-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Very cool! The way you set the mood was great and the end was really funny.

Hail
11-27-2012, 11:21 PM
Really cool and very well done!!

caralvive
12-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Thank you guys, Ipi Soft, the developer of the motion capture system I used for this film just honored "Gas Station" as the winner of their monthy animation contest...thanks for the honor!!

http://bit.ly/11SdcH2

OnlineRender
12-05-2012, 03:08 PM
congrats awesome animation... reminds me of oscar oasis

erikals
12-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Well deserved! :jam:

:beerchug:

SubDProxy
12-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Nice animation! Good job. :)
Glen

3DGFXStudios
12-06-2012, 09:38 AM
Very nice! Especially very good audio :D

oliversimonnet
12-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Loved the character the animation and the story!
brilliant work!

inquisitive
12-07-2012, 01:25 AM
Nice, thank you for sharing. What version of Ipi Soft Mocap did you use? Express?

caralvive
12-07-2012, 02:42 AM
Nice, thank you for sharing. What version of Ipi Soft Mocap did you use? Express?

I used the Basic version, but at the time I recorded my motions the room I had available for this purpose was so small that I was forced to use only 1 Kinect camera for all my shots, I was a bit uncomfortable but it ended up working well. I strongly recommend 2 Kinect cameras though, they work pretty well and you'll save lots of time on the after cleaning, remember that with the Express version you can only use 1 Kinect camera.
I strongly recommend go with the Basic or Standard versions if you are planing to get Ipi Soft.

nickdigital
12-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Very funny. Well done.