PDA

View Full Version : revert to scene - no warning?

dblincoe
11-17-2012, 01:13 PM
OK. Is it just me or should the "revert scene to last saved" button throw up a warning and dialogue asking if you are sure? There have been numerous times when going to load an object or object layer the mouse releases over the revert button and abandons my changes without any warning.

Could you guys see if this happens on your systems? I'm on a mac but am not sure if it is just a mac thing or cross platform.

XswampyX
11-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Yep same here. Just edit your menu layout and delete/move it?

Oh Win7 here.

dblincoe
11-17-2012, 01:26 PM
going to have to... Dangerous and disastrous results twice today. 1st time I didn't really know what I did, second time it was too late.

Thanks for checking.
I'll post a bug report. I think it should warn you regardless of where the button is!

dblincoe
11-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Fogbugz Case 53150. Just was told that it would be updated to a feature request.

evenflcw
11-17-2012, 02:31 PM
I might actually be part of the blame for that, having filed a bugreport in 2008 concerning revert and the dialogue displayed.

Although I did not specifically state "nuke all dialogues"! Rather I complained about revert displaying an improper dialogue - it used to ask whether you wanted to save before reverting!?... which is such a head-slap thing to do when you just asked the program to revert to the previous state of the scene. If you didn't keep your trigger finger in check, you risked saving over the state you wanted to revert to! And as if that wasn't enough, LW would even continue to load the scene, so you could immediately get the total destruction of your assets thrown in your face! Tough lesson. Basically the opposite of your described situation, but with similar level of destructive consequences.

Although it might be imprudent to speculate, seemingly what NT did was take the straightforward solution to solve a report (might have been others!) and just remove the existing dialogue altogether.

Perhaps what they should have done was to create a new dialogue, which only informs you that reverting/loading another scene will discard changes to the current one (if scene edit flag is true), and only ask whether you are sure you want to load/revert or cancel the operation all together. Ie, there should be no mention or possibility to save anything within a load operation! Preferably the dialogue buttons aren't simply yes and cancel, but revert or load and cancel depending on the operation chosen. There will be no confusion and no risk of data loss. Clearly they should sit down and diagram what dialogue each file operation (close, load, save, revert...) should display depending on current scene state as it doesn't seem to be readily apparent.

PS. I'll try to be more careful what I ask for.

dblincoe
11-17-2012, 02:38 PM
So it's your fault! Not cool! =) Yeah, I can see how your situation was sort of like mine. In my bug report I asked for a dialogue that showed the unsaved changes before proceeding. Let's see what we get.

evenflcw
11-17-2012, 02:59 PM
My old report https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?16610_pkio

It seems one sentence did say basically "nuke the dialogues"... oops!

You live and learn. Clearly this is not a good solution either. So I guess with Save Options set to:
"Disabled", it can go ahead and revert/load without dialogue.
"Simple", it should show dialogue which informs and asks whether to discard and load/revert scene or cancel.
"Advanced", it should display that big bulky dialogue which confuses me so much I never use it.