PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #196 - The Flintstones

JoePoe
11-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Speed Modeling Challenge #196 - The Flintstones

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s395/joepoe1/Flinstones_stuff.png

Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger.
3. LightWave must be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug-ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
6. The winner is judged by the challenge starter and the prize is to set up the challenge after next week's.

This week's topic: From the news... Spears show early human species was sharper than we thought. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/nov/15/stone-spear-early-human-species) 500,000 year old spear tip!!? Hmmmm, maybe the Flintstones did have all that great stuff!! Model one of their crazy gadgets, cars, tools etc, or one of the characters themselves (extra points for Betty :hey:).
Also accepted - a modern day convenience you think Fred and the gang would have liked, done in Flintstone "style".... Bedrock cell phone??

Time limit: 90 minutes

Deadline: Wednesday, November, 21th, 2012, 22:00 G.M.T

VictoryX
11-17-2012, 04:59 AM
Flintstones car
Time: 30 Minutes
Polys: 1,076

Color

Wires

It wasn't until I did the renders and created this post I realized I forgot the steering wheel......right.

Kuzey
11-17-2012, 06:09 AM
Here's a Flintstones flickr group (http://www.flickr.com/groups/flintstones/pool/) with tons of images to get you started..haha!

Great work VictoryX

Kuzey

VictoryX
11-17-2012, 06:35 AM
Fred FlintStone
Time: 1 hour
Polys = 890

Color

Wires

I don't think this model looks like him much. I'm not really good at organic modeling, character stuff so I need to practice that. Good thing is he is completely quads, no tri's or engons.

Iain
11-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Ha! Great topic! Love your toon renders VictoryX-quick work too.

Darth Mole
11-18-2012, 04:04 PM
I made a rock.

egearbox
11-18-2012, 05:10 PM
I made Fred's tablet PC. Note the tabbed interface. :D

I wanted to do a lot more with this one in Modeler (displacement, etc) but in order to hit the 90 min limit I had to stop myself.

JoePoe
11-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Good job you guys!

I tried the dino-crane.
This is where I am at 90. Maybe a couple over.... stupid canopy.
Missing: eyes, toes, nostrils and (cough) all the rope work. I said the challenge was 2 hours right ? :bangwall:

egearbox
11-19-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm so impressed and amazed by how good so many people here are with organic forms - that's an art in itself! I've only mostly done hard-surfaced objects and have always struggled with the organic side of things. Some really great stuff on display here!!

Kaptive
11-20-2012, 06:21 AM
Right, I thought I'd have a go at this challenge. Good work everyone.. I especially like the dino crane :)

I've never tried a speed modeling challenge before, and it is amazing how quick the time zooms by! That said, I picked a really tough one (2 characters really), and I'm quite shocked how far I got in the time. Though I had to cut a few corners on the bird to get it looking anything like within 90 minutes... Wish I'd had some time to texture it though!

So yep, the full 90 minutes on this one.

Cheers

Kris

JoePoe
11-21-2012, 05:22 PM
so, real quick, just added the ropes etc.... now totally over and past the scope of the challenge. Just posting for giggles.
Threw on a couple of textures, but gotta shift into serious holiday mode now.

JoePoe
11-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Okay, without any further ado....

VictoryX - 2 entries!! What good is the car without Fred :) Well done, especially with such a low poly count! Less is more. :thumbsup:
Darth Mole - you rock :rock:
egearbox - I appreciate the original concept, and admire that you actually "carved" the text into the tablet. Very high poly count. More is more. :thumbsup:
Kaptive - What can I say.... really pretty spot on to the reference. I'm gonna call this the Goldilocks poly count.... right in the middle.

The winner....... First time is the charm, and welcome to the challenge..... KAPTIVE! :D

Kaptive
11-22-2012, 07:45 AM
Awesome :) I don't know what to say... I'd like to first of all thank my Mother for all of her support through-out the years, I wouldn't be here without her. To the director and the whole team... and and and...

oh. Sorry, wrong place :P

Seriously though, cheers Joe :) Made my day! Now where is the cash prize! Hehe. I'll have to have a think about what my challenge should be... hmmmm!

Great entries though everyone... all winners :)