PDA

View Full Version : FReq: Automatic Selection History

jeric_synergy
11-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Feature Request: SELECTION HISTORY-- An automatic scrolling list of selections. Nothing fancy-- if an element is gone, tough luck. Users could just click on a line and that snapshot of selections would be re-selected. Like an AUTOMATIC 'Selection Set' feature, but for Points, Edges, and Polys.

NOT saved with the Object.
Facilities for creating actual Selection Sets (and Parts)(and Maps) with one click
Facilities for add/subtract (ala current Stats panel) to Selection
Color-coded for Points/Edges/Polys
Top-most line=most recent selection, i.e. 'grows down' (helps w/panel layout)
User-definable History 'depth' (might be CPU/RAM intensive)
"Flush" function
ON/OFF option

Depending on how LW keeps track of entities in its internal database, 'garbage collection' might become a CPU issue for larger models. The last two features would ameliorate that.

EDIT: I was thinking "Modeler" here, but a similar facility would be convenient in Layout as well.

Sensei
11-16-2012, 12:30 PM
TrueArt's Modeling Pack
http://modelingpack.trueart.eu
SelectionPresetManager
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2ZjSKGJxqE

jeric_synergy
11-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Pretty nifty, Sensei. :thumbsup:

I'd prefer something more graphical like PShop's History, but that's just because I'm a wimp. I'm sure your program meets most modelers' needs!

Sensei
11-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Photoshop stack contains names of tools that were used- in this case it would be just single name with number suffix - not quite useful for finding particular selection..
Well, it can contain number of elements selected, and time in HH:MM:SS format, but still seeing it by name is not very helpful when there is >10-20 of such in the list.

jeric_synergy
11-16-2012, 02:47 PM
I know, but I figured the user could just click thru them quickly, like your plugin.

Normally, a selection would scroll off the panel, but users could make a "snapshot" to retain them, and they'd just accumulate at the top of the panel (ie they'd be immune to flushing and expiration). Or users could make a Selection Set/Part, but since selecting those are currently IMO a slowwww PITA, I'd rather keep them in this new thing. Since a snapshot would be around for a little while at least, an option to name them would be good. Something really quick for the user, maybe a default name+numeral that the user could change or add to if s/he desired, eg "PointSelection005".

:shrug: I believe all this is impossible w/the current LWM architecture (how often has THAT boned us?), so really just blue-sky 'ing here. It'd be FAB if this could get into LW12.

Sensei
11-16-2012, 02:51 PM
It will be impossible to make plugins like this when there will be built-in modifier/history stack or nodal modeling.

Current architecture allowed to make it. Other would not allow.

jeric_synergy
11-16-2012, 03:00 PM
It will be impossible to make plugins like this when there will be built-in modifier/history stack or nodal modeling.

Current architecture allowed to make it. Other would not allow.
??? Why not? It's just a list of vertices/edges/polys.

And a programmer can make a persistant information panel, similar to the Stats pane (but better) now???

Sensei
11-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Output mesh from modifier/node is completely different than input mesh.

Let's for example modifier/node which is taking input mesh then duplicating it or making array of meshes.
Input f.e. 1000 polygons are converted to completely new 100,000 polygons generated by modifier/node.
None pointer to memory, nor indexes from output, match input anymore.

Core (r.i.p.) didn't allow making SelectionPresetManager type of plugin.

jeric_synergy
11-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Well, IMO that's just tough luck for the user: s/he can still get the recorded Selection, it just might not be much use.

Really, what I'm looking for is just a kind of automatic selection set maker. Better to have something with some use than some impossible "Perfect" tool that can't/won't get coded.