PDA

View Full Version : Monitor calibration tool

adrian
11-16-2012, 03:26 AM
Hi everyone - I did try to search for any previous threads on this subject but.... well, you know how it is these days with the search tool.

Ok, so I have this scene (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?131534-Front-Garden-revisited)that I just posted in the gallery which looked exactly how I wanted it to on my 24" widescreen baby at home. Today I loaded it onto another one and to my horror the lighting was quite simply appalling.

So i've now used a free calibration tool to get my main monitor looking like the other one. However I'm guessing it might be worth investing in a decent calibration tool, so I'd really appreciate some suggestions as to which one to buy. What do you guys use?

Thanks.

Boris Goreta
11-16-2012, 04:05 AM
I have x-rite SpectraSensor Pro together with NEC wide gamut display PA301W and I love it. Comparing it with my previous Samsung 30" the colors are waaay better.

GoatDude
11-16-2012, 06:54 AM
Spyder4PRO

jburford
11-16-2012, 09:23 AM
Spyder3Pro here!

adrian
11-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Cool, thanks guys.

Titus
11-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Spyder2Pro here!

JonW
11-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Got a Spyder 3 Elite & I would buy it again. My Dell 3011, couldn't get any form of calibration manually. But with hardware calibration it's not a problem. (it does a very fine grey scale calibration, I'm not sure if the pro does this as well, it's well worth it)

I do think the Spyder should be better for the money & it should be better with all my monitors. I will give it 9.5 out of 10. I have read somewhere that if you have different forms of back lighting, it does throw the hardware off a bit.

If you are running 2 monitors you will need 2 graphics cards (a cheap card for the menus is fine), not 2 monitors off 1 card, because the second monitor calibration will not save.

You should also have a look at the light level & colour of your room. Lower the brightness, & grey walls. I also run my monitors at 5800k & brightness 90cd which matches better when comparing with a print from my C2255. At least be able to cover windows when you need to do colour correction & remove brightly coloured objects from field of view.

JonW
11-17-2012, 12:53 AM
Got a Spyder 3 Elite & I would buy it again. My Dell 3011, couldn't get any form of calibration manually. But with hardware calibration it's not a problem. (it does a very fine grey scale calibration, I'm not sure if the pro does this as well, it's well worth it)

I checked the Spyder 4, only the Elite seems to have "Iterative Gray Balance" When you click on this to do this extra grey calibration it takes a bit longer, but you do seem to get pretty good grey balance from white to black.

meatycheesyboy
11-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Another option (that is less expensive) is to use the database at TFT Central: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

They compile the settings that they and their users have compiled for various monitors using various calibration tools such as the ones already listed in this thread. It isn't as reliable as doing it yourself probably but it is a quick and easy alternative.

adrian
11-19-2012, 03:50 AM
Didn't realise there was so much to this! What a nightmare. Thanks for everyone's help though, much appreciated. And here was me thinking it's simply a case of pressing the power button on your monitor :-)

ErichSchreiner
11-20-2012, 01:38 AM
I use the Eye-One from GretagMacBeth together with a LaCie, though i do not calibrate very often.

Waves of light
11-20-2012, 02:37 AM
Spyder3 Elite here - picked it up off ebay when the v4 came out. Does dual monitor and works very well.

EDIT: Oh, and I calibrate every month.