PDA

View Full Version : Adding particles to Bullet Dynamics

AC9000
11-14-2012, 12:01 PM
Hello. I was wondering if anyone could help me with adding particles to a fractured object in LW11. Do I have to bake the fractured animation? If so, how is that done? I cant seem to find any tutorials on this commonly used effect. If you know of any links, I would love to check them out. Thanks for your help.

A

VonBon
11-14-2012, 01:02 PM
LightWave's particle system does work with bullet and you dont need to bake it.

AC9000
11-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Thank you, VonBon. How would I create particles that would only come from the inside surfaces of an object, awhere it has fractured?

alexs3d
11-15-2012, 02:16 AM
jup a tutorial on this topic would be nice :)

Brötje
11-15-2012, 02:21 AM
The closest thing I have found is make your object an emitter ( surface emitter ) and then let it calculate. I'm working on some shots right now. :)
I really need to check if you can control emissions through weightmaps. I'll add it to my already endless to do list.
It would be nice if you could select individual pieces or surfaces and have them as emitters. ( I'll whine about it in the feature requests section )
LW could do with a sturdy Particles FX update.

***EDIT***

I have taken a quick look at it. You can not control emissions with weight maps. What a shame really.

AC9000
11-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Darn! It should be simple to create emitters on only the internal surfaces, after an object has fractured. But, apparently it is not. I am kindof new at LW, so if any of you think this is an ameteur question, please tell me how it is done. I appreciate your time. I will try other avenues and go to the drawing board. Let me know what you find out. I will do the same.

A

Brötje
11-15-2012, 02:37 PM
What I was thinking is to make a copy of each internal surface, put them in separate layers, parent them to the original geometry and set those as surface emitters.

Wow, just typing this out has made me realise what a painful process it would be.

jeric_synergy
11-15-2012, 03:39 PM
I have taken a quick look at it. You can not control emissions with weight maps. What a shame really.
But you can control emissions with image maps. IIRC you do it thru the birth rate.

jeric_synergy
11-15-2012, 03:55 PM
On what are you basing this?

Brötje
11-16-2012, 02:11 AM
But you can control emissions with image maps. IIRC you do it thru the birth rate.

Yeah, but it would be easier if you could just pick the surface that you want and have that as emitter...

GoatDude
11-16-2012, 07:24 AM
Does this work? If you are using the fracture tool in modeler, you can assign a name to the internal surface. Using statistics panel, select this surface and copy to another layer. Then parent the new layer.

VonBon
11-16-2012, 08:12 AM
On what are you basing this?

its been awhile since i messed around with it, but it works. Try it out.

Im going to try some more complex test later today (if i get a chance).

jeric_synergy
11-16-2012, 08:50 AM
its been awhile since i messed around with it, but it works. Try it out.
No. What you're saying is too vague: which PARTS are supported?

You've made an assertion that nobody else reports, let's see a demo.

Thomas Leitner
11-16-2012, 10:40 AM
No. What you're saying is too vague: which PARTS are supported?

You've made an assertion that nobody else reports, let's see a demo.

As said by VonBon:

of course you don´t have to bake the bullet simulation to use it as an emitter for particles. But I prefer to write MDDs when my bullet simulation is done. After this I use it as a emitter for particles.

ciao
Thomas

Greenlaw
08-05-2013, 02:19 AM
Does this work? If you are using the fracture tool in modeler, you can assign a name to the internal surface. Using statistics panel, select this surface and copy to another layer. Then parent the new layer.

It's simpler than that: You make two versions of the object. For the emitter version, you select the surfaces/polygons you don't want to emit particles and kill them, leaving all the vertices intact. Now you can use the same MDD file on the emitter object (internal surface, for example) that is used to animate the 'full' fractured Bullet geometry. This also allows you to use the original 'full' geometry as a collision object for the particles.

G.

prometheus
08-05-2013, 04:43 AM
Calculate ..calculate..fx particles needs to calculate.
not sure about how well it works, i thought the old hardfx pieces with emitters worked better, will have to check and confirm though, especially
I thought that parts blown away and emitting particles with a parent motion of zero worked better in old hardfx, in the new bullet I couldn´t get the pieces to
leave just as good particle trails.

Bullet dynamic cloth isn´t working with particles, old cloth system do..so there´s room for improvements there.

Michael

prometheus
08-05-2013, 04:50 AM
I think I have to correct myself.....and you guys should probably ignore my comment on the particles not working as good as in the old hardfx system, it seems to emitt just the same from fractured pieces.

soft body still remains though, and we could really have use of particles colliding and smashing and break bullet pieces, as it works in modo.

Michael

alenskas
10-23-2013, 06:07 PM
hi guys. im having this problem now. i have a shattered object which is set to active on last keyframe.
ive animated it forward and when it stops the model breaks apart and flies through the air then lands on the ground.
i want to make a particle trail of smoke behind the peices.
SO ive tried adding particles and calculating....doesnt work. do you HAVE to bake the bullet motion first ?

alenskas
10-23-2013, 06:31 PM
please everyone forgive me for being an idiot.... i forgot about a certain box called 'limit number of particles' DOH !
its a really intense calculation though even with just 1 particle per frame and 50 peices for 100 frames !!!! hmmm lets see....
what else have i forgotten to check ?!

prometheus
10-24-2013, 12:37 PM
The closest thing I have found is make your object an emitter ( surface emitter ) and then let it calculate. I'm working on some shots right now. :)
I really need to check if you can control emissions through weightmaps. I'll add it to my already endless to do list.
It would be nice if you could select individual pieces or surfaces and have them as emitters. ( I'll whine about it in the feature requests section )
LW could do with a sturdy Particles FX update.

***EDIT***

we have been wanting weight map emission control of particles for a long time now...still waiting, an old fire and smoke plugin from pawel olas had that feature advantage, newtek should analyze and tap in to that
if possible..., but we really need a weight map display mode and a weight map paint brush in layout firstly handy for even more stuff.
http://polas.net/smoke/

jeric_synergy
10-24-2013, 09:42 PM
..., but we really need a weight map display mode and a weight map paint brush in layout firstly handy for even more stuff.
http://polas.net/smoke/
Seconded, emphatically!

i think TRUARTS may have a Layout weightmap display-er. I could be wrong. -EDIT: I'm wrong, it's a Modeler plugin that shows numeric-text weights.

Areyos Alektor
10-27-2013, 10:54 AM
For the "Weight Maps" in "Layout" there's "Vertex Paint". Certainly it would need a update but it's a good tool.

Greenlaw
10-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Vertex paint works in Layout? I thought it only worked in Modeler. It doesn't work with Joints but if it really works in Layout, I might use it for general weight painting for effects work. I will have to check that out.

In any case, yes, we absolutely need a weight painting tool in layout, especially a system that works directly on a character rigged with both Joints and Bones systems. (But first they should revert the weight offset found in the Joints--then they would only need to create one weight painting system and it would be consistent with LW Bones and be compatible with third party programs like Motion Builder and Maya. This would make life much easier for me and my work, and it could encourage me to keep more of my projects inside LightWave.) :D

G.

Greenlaw
10-27-2013, 11:38 AM
I don't see how you can access it in Layout but, now that I'm thinking about it, it doesn't really matter since VT works in it's own window anyway. In the situation I was thinking of, I would need to be able to paint weights in the actual scene environment, not in an isolated 3D view. Oh well.

G.

Areyos Alektor
10-27-2013, 01:27 PM
That is why I say that he needs an update ;)

There's no button. Do "Edit" / "Edit Menu Layout" / "Search" / "Paint" and after I guess you know :)

jeric_synergy
10-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Weight Map alteration and display in Layout.... well, that would be a very good thing indeed.

Greenlaw
10-27-2013, 08:34 PM
Ah, found it. For some reason, the plug-in wasn't loaded on my system but a plug-in rescan put it back. And you are correct--it does appear under Layout.

But, yeah, I agree, it's not what we really need. IMO, I don't think Vertex Paint has been particularly useful for many years, especially since I've been using Joints for my rigs for Motion Builder/Maya 'compatibility' (such as it is.) :(

G.

Areyos Alektor
11-02-2013, 07:19 PM
The last major upgrade of "Vertex Paint" must go back to the 7.5 but it's still functional, available in the Layout and 64-bit. What is already not bad. Now a big update in connection with "Genoma" wouldn't be luxury :)

tyrot
11-08-2014, 07:44 AM
i was checking that SMOKE plugin from Polas - man - it looks really COOL! but last update was around 2004?

ok here is my question ..

IF bullet parts CANNOT create particles as they break down - how we can use this in any shot except glass! Everything else needs smoke - dust etc . A good nice tutorial or workflow is needed!

ianr
11-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Tyrot,
Bullet works well with Or should I say that Cantarcan's Dynamite Pro works
comfortably well STILL inside LW 11.5 & 6.
See Brent3D's Tutorial on this it was connected to a thread to YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qat3IsDEYw there you Go!

prometheus
11-08-2014, 11:36 AM
geometry cracked by bullet, can generate particles...
but not exactly derived from cracked edges, as in most stuff with dynamics...you have to calculate, and then it depends on how you set it up, you could birth emitt from image maps in the same structure as the breaking is supposed to be..or just emitt from
the surfaces...or emitt from a collision impact point where you set up emitter manually or use collision event to trigger particle emission.

3 parts...

1.breaking parts geometry chuncks
2. add smaller particle debris..preferably with smaller particle fx linked geometry.
3. add turbulenceFD for smoke...or use hypervoxels.

- - - Updated - - -

i was checking that SMOKE plugin from Polas - man - it looks really COOL! but last update was around 2004?

ok here is my question ..

IF bullet parts CANNOT create particles as they break down - how we can use this in any shot except glass! Everything else needs smoke - dust etc . A good nice tutorial or workflow is needed!

skip fire and smoke plugin and get turbulenceFD, the rest of the particle stuff can be done in native lightwave.