PDA

View Full Version : How can I align models ?

rednova
11-14-2012, 09:38 AM
dear friends:

I am planning on creating a lot of different 3d models (including: kitchen utensils+table+chair+bug characters+little robot+and more).
I can model each one, one at a time and save them under different names.The plan is to join them together to make a new
animation in Layout. I ran into a problem before: Sometimes, when I load more than one object (in Layout)instead of matching the
general proportions (all models) one object shows up in front, but the other object dissappear. ( I think it has something to do with
the grid size...and how the models have different proportions).
My guess is...there must be something to do in Modeler...to align each object when created...to be able every object is modeled
in scale to match alignment and position in Layout.
How can I do this ? before modeling each object, how do I make sure all objects will align properly ?
Please help me.

MarcusM
11-14-2012, 10:34 AM
My first idea is to have open in the same time Layout and Modeler. It's great to have minimum two displays ;]
In Layout you open scene editor and make null objects with names (kitchen, others) and make tree.
In Modeler you creating new objects but singly, not everything in one lwo. Then synchronize them with layout, set positions...
Every time you can open scene in Layout, with full scene tree, and send objects to Modeler for edit. (You can have few different models open in one Modeler in the same time ;p).
In this scene building way i dont see scale problem. Keeping scale during modeling is basic thing.
About scale - its propably in display preferences "Grid Square Size" ?

Dexter2999
11-14-2012, 10:58 AM
What you are describing sounds like an issue with scale. You need to keep an eye on the size of your grid squares in Modeler (lower left corner) when you are creating objects. A lame trick I use when dealing with multiple objects that I want to be reasonably the same size, is to create a box using the numeric option about the size I need to keep constrained to. I put this box in the background and use it as a scale reference.

But a good modeler keeps the scale in mind and uses numerics rather than just slapping stuff together like I am wont to do.

You are best off getting the objects the same scale in modeler rather than trying to compensate for mistakes in Layout, where keyframe errors could bite you.

Danner
11-14-2012, 11:47 AM
I think it's a scale issue but also a workflow issue. In layout the camera will re position itself to try to frame the last loaded object, and if that object is one kilometer in size or away from the center your scene will become hard to navigate.

While modeling try to keep every object in strict scale and centered, once they are made, position them in modeler so they are where they should be in relation to the rest of the objects. The only exception is when the model will be cloned, in that case I keep it centered in modeler and place it and copy it in layout. This way if there is a change I only have to change one instance of that layer and it's all updated.

BeeVee
11-14-2012, 02:14 PM
If you keep your objects to scale and centred you can reuse them in other projects. Otherwise you will always need to do some adjustment when you use them in a new scene.

B