PDA

View Full Version : What's the Deal with CORE?

kcsull
11-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Has anyone been able to locate and download the extra online chapters about CORE at 3dgarage.com as mentioned in Dan Ablan's Inside Lightwave 3D v10? Thanks

Sensei
11-13-2012, 06:06 PM
What's Core? ;)

jasonwestmas
11-13-2012, 06:51 PM
I guess you're out of the loop. There is no application environment called core anymore.

stevenpalomino
11-13-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm not sure I ever heard why it ended... what happened?

Dexter2999
11-13-2012, 08:40 PM
It was a bunch of good ideas that couldn't come together on time and on budget.

stevenpalomino
11-13-2012, 09:10 PM
I didn't know they had a "time" they needed it done by.. I always thought it was a "here's something we're working on and will continue to update"..

Dexter2999
11-13-2012, 09:15 PM
There was no "carved in stone date" but the division wasn't working on LW10 (I believe the statement I read was "There will be no LW10 if I have my way.") and they were going on their third year and their only revenue was CORE pre-sales which most likely dropped off after the first year.

You can't run a company on optimism. You have to have a product (or a service) and they didn't even have a Beta to reinvigorate pre-sales.

Phil
11-13-2012, 09:17 PM
It's probably not worth re-treading the history. Discussions about Core tend to degenerate rapidly into a flamewar and a locked or deleted thread. I expect you can find the history by searching these boards or Google. For example : http://www.cgchannel.com/2011/06/newtek-cans-core-as-standalone-package/

stevenpalomino
11-13-2012, 09:19 PM
oh.. so core was supposed to take the place of LW10 and nothing was coming out / being updated in the 9.x cycles?

stevenpalomino
11-13-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm not trying to start a flame war.. I wasn't a member of core so I never heard anything. I don't even know if newtek is planning on eventually switching to a "one program only" type of software. Is that even a goal still? I honestly have no problems with the whole core issue.. but then again I wasn't a member so I can understand why people have a problem with it..
From what I understand though.. wasn't Modo formed because they were wanting to re-write lightwave to something like "core" and change the architecture?

Oedo 808
11-13-2012, 09:36 PM
It's probably not worth re-treading the history. Discussions about Core tend to degenerate rapidly into a flamewar and a locked or deleted thread.

Yeah, I've just deleted about... I don't know how many replies.

erikals
11-13-2012, 09:38 PM
some good answers here >
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=989008

Phil
11-14-2012, 06:06 AM
From what I understand though.. wasn't Modo formed because they were wanting to re-write lightwave to something like "core" and change the architecture?

That's another relatively charged discussion topic. If you go digging, you can find parts of the story, but neither Luxology nor NewTek will ever go into the details. Suffice to say, there was a parting of ways and some legal tussling. The communities on both sides can still flare up and it's amazing how much passion 3D software tends to cause in people. It's extremely tribal for many folks. The end result of all of that is modo and LW.

You can see design aspects of Modeler and Layout in modo (including, sadly, the config file corruption that means deleting your config file is a regular problem solving technique in both). Whilst I wish there was only one package, to save costs, I'm actually glad in other ways that there are two - modo excels at some tasks, LW at others. I'm not sure that a single package would work as well at both ends.

stevenpalomino
11-14-2012, 10:08 AM
... modo excels at some tasks, LW at others. I'm not sure that a single package would work as well at both ends.

I agree. I don't mean to start heated software wars haha. I don't have problems with using software for what it's good for. Whatever helps me get the job done usually wins. Lightwave usually wins, but other times it doesn't. I'm glad rob continually repeated that at siggraph though. Lightwave is a great standalone app and it also plays well with others. They don't assume we should only be using LightWave, although you can.

jasonwestmas
11-14-2012, 12:18 PM
It's not your fault of course. . .like Phil is saying there are a lot of Tribal wars going on for no good reason.

I agree. I don't mean to start heated software wars haha. I don't have problems with using software for what it's good for. Whatever helps me get the job done usually wins. Lightwave usually wins, but other times it doesn't. I'm glad rob continually repeated that at siggraph though. Lightwave is a great standalone app and it also plays well with others. They don't assume we should only be using LightWave, although you can.

Chuck
11-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Question is asked and answered, no need for another lengthy thread.