PDA

View Full Version : 855 CS quit problem

bbailey
11-12-2012, 09:25 AM
I'm producing High School football games for delayed broadcast in Odessa-Midland. I just traded in my TCBroadcast for an 855 with the new Control Surface. I really love my new set up.

A couple of weeks ago before game time I noticed an error screen on my Tricaster's computer monitor which was telling me my CS had failed and was talking about rebooting the Tricaster. But it went away on it's own even before I could finish reading it.

I use a small keyboard with a built-in mouse pad much like a laptop just to change my score bug during the games and to start up and shut down the 855. Because of the possibility of the CS failing, I began bring a mouse with me as a backup just in case, knowing it would be hard to use the small keyboard's built-in mouse to switch.

We went along for several more games without seeing the error again until Thursday night at an away game in Lubbock, TX. It was sometime in the fourth quarter. I called for a slo-mo replay and transitioned to it. At the end of the replay I hit the transition button, which I think must have still been lit because I didn't notice anything was wrong except the transition didn't happen. I hit it again and still...nothing. My slo-mo girl hit her live button and we were at least seeing live game but were locked into the one camera. I'm freaking out. I then noticed the error screen on the computer monitor. It was talking about looking on the web for a solution or rebooting the system. It was the same error box I'd seen once before which was telling me the CS had unexpectedly quit. I frantically unplugged the CS and plugged it back in...which didn't work. At some point I realized the CS was completely dark. I'm getting ready to grabb my mouse and go around back and plug it in when my slo-mo girl said, "close the error screen". I grabbed the small keyboard and manipulated the cursor into the upper right corner of the error screen and clicked. The error screen went away and the CS lit up (correctly) and we were able to finish the game.

Being that this problem resolved itself on it's own the first time made the second time happening during the heat of the game very frustrating. Now I realize that the error screen locks everything and it must be closed. But, why did this happen? That's the real question. And when will it happen again? Could it really quit or is this trying to tell me something may be wrong with the CS or even the 855? Has this happened to any of you?

ZachSchuster
11-12-2012, 09:34 AM
This has happened on occasion to me as well. I'm guessing it says something about the ControlModule??? I have not been able to pinpoint it, but it seems that a certain sequence of events can trigger it. I believe the Tricaster XD series is designed so if a module fails, you can "reboot" just the module. This was more common in early releases of the Tricaster.

Whenever the error pops up, we close the window and the CS "reboots" and we're good to go.

I agree, not ideal, but better than the whole system rebooting. Report bugs when they happen, and rest (a little) easy knowing if it happens again, you should be able to just close the window.

kltv
11-12-2012, 10:05 AM
This has happened to me a few times and Zach is right, if you close the dialog warning, the CS comes back after a few seconds. If it happens again, be sure to try and grab the log file after you close your session and before you go back into Live Production. It is in the C:\TriCaster\Bin64\Logs\ folder. Grab that file and send it to NewTek. The file will be replaced if you go back into Live Production, so be sure to grab it first.

Kris

SBowie
11-12-2012, 10:31 AM
It would also be useful to have a screenshot showing the error dialog - a cell phone snap would do, or just hit Print Screen before closing it, and then later - on exiting the session - go into Windows, open "Paint", and hit Ctrl + v.

ZachSchuster
11-12-2012, 10:38 AM
This has happened to me a few times and Zach is right, if you close the dialog warning, the CS comes back after a few seconds. If it happens again, be sure to try and grab the log file after you close your session and before you go back into Live Production. It is in the C:\TriCaster\Bin64\Logs\ folder. Grab that file and send it to NewTek. The file will be replaced if you go back into Live Production, so be sure to grab it first.

Kris

You know... on any error window like that, is it possible for Newtek to automatically copy the log file to a directory on the C drive? Or have a button that will perform that process?

SBowie
11-12-2012, 10:41 AM
I'd expect that if it's something generated by the TriCaster software, it's already in the log file ... but this sounded suspiciously like it might be a Windows dialog, which may or may not be trapped as such - hence my suggestion.

kltv
11-12-2012, 02:10 PM
I'd expect that if it's something generated by the TriCaster software, it's already in the log file ... but this sounded suspiciously like it might be a Windows dialog, which may or may not be trapped as such - hence my suggestion.

It was definitely a Windows error when I saw it.

Kris

bbailey
11-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your response.

BTW, I was lucky in that the refs were having a problem on the field and with the marking off of yardage and causing a re-kick. I only went through two plays including the kick and re-kick before we were back up and running full. If you're not paying close attention you don't realize I had a problem except when we had to go "live" with our 3Play from the freeze frame we were holding at the end of the play I had transitioned to. I really like my 855 and 3Play.

rally1
11-12-2012, 04:43 PM
We had this issue on our 850 at the start of the year, I had screenshot/pic somewhere, but can't find it now. And I think it was a windows error for us too. We had a CS and TW plugged in. I believe an update ultimately cleared it up for us.

Tim H.
11-12-2012, 05:22 PM

Kris

I've read about this: "don't go back into Live Production until you grab the log file...or it will be overwritten" a few times lately.

Why aren't the log files time/date tagged? That would help in many ways:

1. For those that don't regularly read the forums, the log wouldn't be destroyed due to overwrites.

2. There would be several log files (crash reports) to determine if the problem is always the same.

3. Users that didn't even know about these log files could send them to support, even after re-starting Live Production.

Not this file name: errorlog.txt
But, this file: errorlog-2012-11-12-1620.txt
And, this file: errorlog-2012-11-12-1346.txt
And, this file: errorlog-2012-11-11-0750.txt
And, this file: errorlog-2012-11-09-1022.txt

Sincerely,

Tim Hedegaard
Virtualsets.com, Inc.
NewTek Authorized Reseller
Customized LiveSets for HD-series TriCasters

www.virtualsets.com
[email protected]

(323) 512-1542 voice

adebats
11-14-2012, 01:19 PM
Well Tim it took a while for the logfile to appear so one step at a time. Sure the guys will add it in future and just delete old files more than a month old say.

SBowie
11-19-2012, 08:31 AM
Just to flesh this out a bit (and thanks for the files, Zach), can those of you who have encountered this comment on your physical setups? Are you running the CS on a short USB cable, or asome sort of extension arrangement (if so, what - powered, etc?) Thanks! Oh yeah, what software version are you running?

Also, by any chance, do you have a KVM attached?