PDA

View Full Version : Will Lightwave adopt Apple's Qmaster as network render manager?

chean33
11-01-2003, 08:31 AM
Will Newtek's Lightwave adopt Apple's Qmaster as network render manager as in Shake 3? Shake3 + Qmaster is awesome.

Beamtracer
11-01-2003, 05:13 PM
Qmaster looks really cool. I don't know how difficult it would be to adapt to Lightwave.

I think Lightwave's rendering is where cross platform similarities should end. Lightwave on Mac and Windows should have two different render controllers that take advantage of each platform's advantages.

Also, Apple's Xgrid is around the corner. That could change everything.

js33
11-01-2003, 08:14 PM
OK Mac newbie question. What is Qmaster and Xgrid?

Cheers,
JS

Beamtracer
11-02-2003, 03:24 AM
Qmaster is the render controller that comes with Shake. I believe that Apple will license it to third parties.

Xgrid is a project that Apple is working on that will revolutionize network cluster grids. A very exciting future!

Chazz
11-02-2003, 10:54 AM
So Xgrid is what?

js33
11-03-2003, 01:06 AM
So is Xgrid a distributed rendering app built on a filesharing theme?

Cheers,
JS

Red_Oddity
11-03-2003, 02:49 AM
Why the hell would you want to break cross platform compatibility in the one area it could be really usefull???

mlinde
11-03-2003, 09:08 AM
Apple hasn't explained what the Xgrid project is
XGrid was (for a short time) a new mailing list/discussion group at the Apple website, with no information about what it really is. There has been plenty of speculation (including Beam's, above) but no-one outside of Apple knows, and probably no-one inside Apple knows. At this time, the mailing list is no longer accessible, and the questions for XGrid remain.

As for QMaster, I don't have a copy of shake about, so I don't know what makes it a great render controller (if it is one). The issues with Newtek's network rendering are well known and well documented, but I have to agree with Red_Oddity. In many (if not all) Lightwave environments, there are both Macs and PCs. Why would you remove the ability to use both sets of machines when rendering? By focusing on a Mac-only approach you are limiting access to your most valuable resource -- processor power.