PDA

View Full Version : Stone age.

random_human_02
11-01-2003, 07:44 AM
Hi, I'm new to LW, (I currently have 5.6 - but will have 7.5 sometime today when the ups guy gets here!) and am trying to figure out how to make my text look as though it was chiseled out of rock. I have my text, I then gave it depth (extrude) and now I can't figure out how to make it look chiseled out of stone. I have tried several plugins but they seem to be a wee bit over kill, they cause my text to spike all over the place and such.

If you could point me in the right direction, even if it's a vague direction, that would be awesome.

thanks

hrgiger
11-01-2003, 10:10 AM
This isn't the best example but it only took a few minutes to make. It took several minutes to render however since I used radiosity.
I think it's important to get the feel of rock. Placing little chips and pebbles around the text will help give you the feel of it. I did it in my example using point clone plus in modeler.
If I was taking some time with this, I would have beveled the edges on the rock since right now, the sharp edges take away from the organic feel that rock would have. So make sure you have some beveled edges on your text.
The surface I just made using procedural textures on the bump, diffuse and color channels, using a gradient with a bump input parameter on the color channel to have my color shift depending on the height of the bump map. If I were you, I might try using a displacement map for more realism.
There are some rock presets in Lightwave that might give you somewhere to start.

Good luck with that...

random_human_02
11-01-2003, 10:26 AM
That example is awesome, so basically the texture you are using is giving it that chiseld look?

You lost me on the other stuff (radiosity) but I'll figure that out in time I'm sure. I was under the impression that the model would have the chisled look, and then texture it more from there using a displacment map.

How important is the actual scale, because when I make my text, I have to extrude it like .5 otherwise it is simply extruded way too much.. like way off in the distance. and with that said, my edges dont bevel, the text just get a "puffy" look to it. should I make the scale like in miles or something?

Thanks for the input though. :)

hrgiger
11-01-2003, 10:41 AM
Yes, it's just a simple text object extruded once. The procedural bump maps are giving it sort of a chiseled look. Crumple is a good texture for that. I also add a turbulance layer on top of that so it would look a little more random. You don't have to use a displacement map, it depends on how close you're getting to the model. If you're not that close, you can get awaw with just a bump map. If you use a displacement map, you may need to subdivide the mesh several times so you get a smooth displacement instead of it being all jaggy.
The scale doesn't matter, unless you're trying to have it in scale with other objects. You could have extruded it by .00005 if you wanted to.
There are several good plug-ins for beveling your objects. Here are a couple of them:

http://www.3dfightclub.com/~jettocrack/LightWave/LightwaveLScripts/LightWaveLScripts.htm

http://www.richardbrak.net/Rounder/

random_human_02
11-01-2003, 02:18 PM
here is my example:

http://www.akstudio.com/hunter.jpg

I kind of like the direction it is going in, although I have no idea how I even achieved it, I just kept adding stuff to some surface I found in one of the directories.. but I am going to figure out how to safe it because I like the look of it.

My question now is, how did you do the lighting, everytime I work with lights, it seems like I am adding in a bunch. Check the scene screen shots out. Is there a rule to stick by when using lights? The default light never seems to be bright enough.

Thanks

angle 1 (http://www.akstudio.com/lw1.gif)

angle 2 (http://www.akstudio.com/lw2.gif)

random_human_02
11-01-2003, 02:23 PM
oh no...!!

I saved my scene and closed layout.

My texture is gone.

:(

hrgiger
11-01-2003, 03:37 PM
Well, area lights and linear will give you nice soft shadows but so can spotlights with shadow maps if you know how to use them....

Why don't you take a look at this tutorial on using a skydome to light your scene: http://newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/rendering/globalillumination_skydome/globalillumination_skydome.html
This will use the radiosity feature I was telling you about before. It will show you how to set everything up, just replace your text where the mouse head is in the tutorial. With Radiosity, you can get more realistic results because it's closer to being based on how real world lighting is. However, it takes longer to render in most cases but the results are usually worth it.

But let me give you an important tip about lighting in Lightwave. Under your lights properties panel, go to global illumination and turn ambient intensity down to 0%. If you don't, all of your scenes will look a little washed out!

riki
11-01-2003, 07:23 PM
oh no...!! I saved my scene and closed layout. My texture is gone.

You should read the manual if your having this kind of problem. I think there's a free downloadable PDF version on the Newtek site.

Surface Detail is saved with the Object, so you need to save the scene and the object when your quitting Layout. I use Quicksave, which is a handy plug.

random_human_02
11-01-2003, 09:55 PM
I'll look into quick-save, thanks. I am still working in LW 5.6 unfortunetly. I have been tracking my upgrade, but since my stupid town doesn't deliver on Sat. I have to wait until Monday.... (no later than 10:30am they tell me). I have found 5.6 to be lacking in a lot of areas... meaning I can't follow a lot of tutorials due to stuff either missing or simply not where it said it was.

I have 2 manuals (reference manual and user... I find the reference a lot better) and an old VHS tape that has shown me stuff that would have taken years to figure out on my own.

I did figure out my texture.. it took some time, but I re-traced my steps and got it pretty close to what it was
(I loaded the spikemetal2.srf and played around with it, basically)

I am still learning the whole LW thing, I orignally had a different 3d program, but wasnt happy with it, and have read about all the advantages of LW, so I went with it (bought 5.6 from ebay and upgraded from there via NT). I am still learning, and want to learn a lot of this on my own (no better way to learn, than by trial and error) but sometimes I need a " push in the right direction" ...that video helped 110% and now I want to create ideas from with-in my head, but the video doesnt cover it all, so I came here.

anyway, When I save my scene, it doesnt save any surfaces (maybe a 5.6 thing, I dunno) but I am all for a quick-save, I am quickly learning that keyboard short-cuts are the key to productivity.. I am game to what-ever, as long as I learn. Thanks for the advice, I have a ton of stuff you guys have shown me, to play around with. I totally love the tutorial about the skydome, I have always wondered how they got that type of lighting in their scenes, now I know.

ruejos
11-02-2003, 09:22 AM
Yo! Human!

The sample attached for me is awesome! can you pm me the procedures you use? i am also a new with lightwave.

Thanks.

random_human_02
11-02-2003, 10:40 AM
cool. Basically all I did was load the spikedmetal2.srf from the metals folder and then played around with the various settings, I also added in a plugin thing called "fast fresnel" and clicked on the options and set the min. glancing lvl to 23. I have no idea what this does, but it appears that it made the object brighter.

The font I used to create the text is called "blackbeard" and I think that really helps the over-all look of the image. I bought it from www.fonthead.com

Axis3d
11-02-2003, 04:16 PM
How about this one:

I just picked a bold font (Arial Black). Extruded it. Use the Construct > Subdivide > Julienne tool to cut it on the X axis 10 times, Y axis 5 times, Z axis 5 times. Use Shift + T to Triple the polygons. Then hit the Tab button (optional) to turn it into a subdivision object. It can look sharper and more chiseled if left in polygon mode. This one looks more like a Flintstones rock. I also used a little bit of jitter on it to rough it up a bit. For surfacing, I just used one of the preset rock textures. This took only a few minutes to make and render.

hrgiger
11-02-2003, 05:50 PM
That looks pretty good Axis, sort of like sandstone...

ruejos
11-03-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Axis3d
How about this one:

I just picked a bold font (Arial Black). Extruded it. Use the Construct > Subdivide > Julienne tool to cut it on the X axis 10 times, Y axis 5 times, Z axis 5 times. Use Shift + T to Triple the polygons. Then hit the Tab button (optional) to turn it into a subdivision object. It can look sharper and more chiseled if left in polygon mode. This one looks more like a Flintstones rock. I also used a little bit of jitter on it to rough it up a bit. For surfacing, I just used one of the preset rock textures. This took only a few minutes to make and render.

Your sample is awesome! Thanks for the brief procedure i'll be using it!