PDA

View Full Version : Best format for Premiere Pro (16-bit) ?

DrStrik9
11-11-2012, 08:25 AM
New territory for me here ...

I was under the impression that LW_OperEXR_RGBAHALF was 16-bit, but surprise, surprise, it's 32-bit, and Premiere Pro doesn't support it. Doh!

What's the best format to render as 16-bit (plus alpha), which Premiere Pro will support?

Thanks for the noob support. :)

Ma3rk
11-11-2012, 10:41 AM
PPro understands 32-bit files with alpha, but it doesn't recognize the EXR to my knowledge. If you're able to bring in the EXR sequence into the PPro Project bin and see a thumbnail of your image, then perhaps the Recognize Alpha option got turned off. Right Click the sequence in the Bin (not in the sequence timeline), select Interpret Footage and see if that's the case.

Otherwise, you'll need to render to a format that PPro knows such as TGA or PNG. Recognize Alpha will be on by default when brought in.

M.

DrStrik9
11-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the tip. :) Interestingly, as a stop-gap (since I have many hours into OpenEXR rendering-DOH!) In Photoshop I made an Action and ran it via Batch and converted all the OpenEXR's rendered so far to 16-bit Photoshop files, and PPro loads those fine. PPro refusing to recognize any OpenEXR format seems counter-productive on Adobe's part to me ... but obviously, Adobe is "anything but open-source!" :oye:

Areyos Alektor
11-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Do not confuse 32‑bit floating point by channel and 32-bit rendering which means 8 bits real per channel + Alpha.

With Adobe there is the PSD and TIFF for the 16 bits real per channel.

For 32-bit floating point with Adobe is After Effects, and less Photoshop.

Premiere Pro is video editing dedicated, and at Adobe that means 24/32-bit real.