PDA

View Full Version : Happy Veterans Day!

GandB
11-10-2012, 09:39 PM
The 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterans_Day) (1918). That is when the Armistice was signed, ending the 4+ year long war, that was coined "The Great War"....the War to End All Wars. Later, unfortunately, it was simply called "World War 1".

Unlike Memorial Day (which honors the fallen), Veterans Day is about honoring those servicemen and servicewomen who are still alive; whether they still serve, or are no longer in the Armed Forces. As a fellow Veteran; I'd like to thank all those that are currently serving, as well as those that have gone before me.

Thank you.

-Sgt. Keith Caldwell - U.S. Army (1995-2010)

GandB
11-11-2012, 10:21 PM
It appears I'm the only Veteran here; well it was a good day, all the same. To all those out in harms way tonight; stay safe!

meshpig
11-12-2012, 01:12 AM
My father was in Vietnam (if that counts?), on a RAN destroyer 2 k's offshore bombing the Ho Chi Minh trail between 66 and 68. Enlisted at the age of 13 as the rural town he grew up in had no high school, retired as a Commodore 30 years later.

I know he does the ANZAC Day march every year but not sure how much we get of Veterans Day here even though thousands of Australians were involved in WW1.

- As early as I can remember, I can hear my father saying "it's OK, I don't excpect any of you to join the armed forces", the Navy as it was and none of us did but many others followed on with varying degrees of success.

Point being that the whole subject of Vitenam was no go from day 1. Over the years I managed to piece together what exactly they were doing; bombing supply trucks but mostly individuals with a shell on their back walking from one end to shove it in a gun only to walk back to the other end for the next round. A totally stupid and pointless war over nothing since the 17th parallel already had ancient poltical and military signifance...

I'd sign up and fight if need be but the problem is always the "need be". What do you think?

GandB
11-12-2012, 07:47 AM
First of all; I'll thank your Father through you, for his service. I believe other countries who were involved call it "Remembrance Day", etc.

As a serviceman or woman; we don't get to pick and choose which conflicts or wars we want to participate in. Whether you agree with it or not, you are expected to go and do your part. I didn't really agree with going into Iraq (though I thought Afghanistan was justified in the beginning); but I was a soldier, and I had men under me. Politics get left at the rear; you have a job to do, and men/women to look after. Honestly; when you're out there, all you think about is your Family back home and taking care of your brothers and sisters around you. Everything else is just some politician talking. It's about the man or woman to your left and right.

Ultimately; it's a decision you yourself have to make. If you feel you couldn't perform in any capacity in the Armed Forces of your Country, I suggest you stay home. The military is not for everyone. Many people serve their country and fellow man in numerous other ways, that are both important and fulfilling to them.

I agree Vietnam (from all that I have read and discussed) was a mistake from the beginning. Politicians back home tied the hands of our military commanders, and made it nearly impossible to succeed; let alone keep people alive. But when you're in any combat situation (again), it's only about the man/woman to your left or right....everything else can wait.

Thanks for your post and thoughts.

SBowie
11-12-2012, 08:53 AM
Unlike Memorial Day (which honors the fallen), Veterans Day is about honoring those servicemen and servicewomen who are still alivePerhaps this varies from one locale to another, though it's a fine point in any case:

Remembrance Day (also known as Poppy Day or Armistice Day) is a memorial day observed in Commonwealth countries since the end of World War I to remember the members of their armed forces who have died in the line of duty.

In my hometown the emphasis was on the fallen, with veterans and the community alike turning out to show their respect. The widespread use (in Canada and elsewhere) of the symbolic poppy underlines this aspect, stemming largely from the poem "In Flander's Fields (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Flanders_Fields)", which calls to mind the graves of those who fell in WWI and since (though I was surprised to learn that the symbolism predates this period, going back at least to the Napoleonic wars).

KurtF
11-12-2012, 08:05 PM
I served in the Navy from '80 to '85 and had a wonderful day with my father in law. He's a REAL veteran, having caught some grenade shrapnel on a Pacific island in World War II. Thanks for the kind words all. Much appreciated.

meshpig
11-12-2012, 11:31 PM
First of all; I'll thank your Father through you, for his service. I believe other countries who were involved call it "Remembrance Day", etc.

I'll pass it on. Yes, it's Remembrance Day here but it all happens in the Nation's Capitol miles away. When you put it like that I totally see the point of it and a credit to you but can't help being cynical at the same time since it's not the "state" as it were which actually does the work. It's hard to think how best to make the point... as a war fought entirely by robots and machines would be something entirely different.

Hope you ultimately did have an happy Veterans Day!

GandB
11-13-2012, 05:42 AM
I know what you're saying; it's the men and women that make it happen....not the political figures that send them there. Something they sometimes forget. ;)

kopperdrake
11-15-2012, 02:51 PM
It's Remembrance Sunday in the UK, and whilst it is meant as a moment to remember all those who have fallen for their country, usually the local vicar/priest says a few words for those currently serving, either in church or around the war memorial - pretty much every village has one and most villages and towns have a memorial service. In a small village like ours it's usually mainly the local people around the Memorial, with any local groups turning up (Scouts, Guides etc). Our local village has the rather unfortunate claim to fame as being the village (parish) who sent the most men to fight in the First World War per head of population than any other.

My father served in the RAF (yep - I'm a forces' brat), one grandad was in the RAF during WW2 and another survived the Normandy Landings in the army. My dad was down this Sunday for the memorial service - I'm sure he remembers old friends. I just think of my great grandads whose names are at the Tyne Cot memorial in Belgium - I'll never know them, but I am grateful to them. In turn I teach my children why it is important to remember those who gave their lives, so we can live and laugh and cry.

I've nothing but respect for those in the armed forces - no matter my personal opinion of each and every conflict we find ourselves in, anyone willing to put their life on the line for others deserves our respect.