PDA

View Full Version : How To Optimize T3

rzick
11-01-2003, 07:04 AM
Dear Sirs,

OK, here is one for those of you who really know the guts of T3:

We are running T3 on a system that can barely handle the load processor wise. Instead of a 2.4 P4 we are running on a 1.5 system. Unfortunately we can't upgrade the hardware at the moment, so we are forced to make do with what we have.

Where the problem is occuring is when we run the DDR. We noticed hickups in playback. At first we thought our drive array was suffering from a bad drive, but now it looks like it is really the load on the processor. What can you recommend to minimize the load on our processor and hand over all the power we can to video playback in the DDR? Here is what we have done so far:

1. We turned off all other unecessary modules. (We need at least two VT-Vision monitors up and the VT-Switcher since we are switching between one single live input and our AVI's)

2. All of our AVI's are in native rtv format.

3. We are running XP (as apposed to Windows 2000)

4. We have about 700 Mg of RAM installed.

What other XP system settings and T3 configuration settings can we tweek to optimize our playback? Putting everything in rtv definitely helps, but we still get hints of glitchiness (which is scary because it could snowball and spike the processor at the worst time.) Right now it seems the processor is averaging between 60 and 70% utilization.

Also, would rolling back to an earlier version of Toaster do any good, such as T2?

I realize anything we do is just a band-aid until we upgrade our processor, but whatever suggestions you can provide would be a great help.

As always,

Rob Zick
WTBTS

SBowie
11-01-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by rzick

2. All of our AVI's are in native rtv format.

4. We have about 700 Mg of RAM installed.

What other XP system settings and T3 configuration settings can we tweek to optimize our playback? Hmmm -- number 2 seems a bit conflicted, but maybe I didn't read it correctly. RTVs and AVIs are apples and oranges, and that's a bit like writing "all our apples are oranges."

In any case, RTV's will definitely playback better, and it seems that's what you're doing.

Re: no. 4, bumping that up to 1 or even 2 gigs would be "a good thing."

Otherwise, you might try setting DDR Resource Useage (in Prefs) to Medium or even High, though if you're really pegging the CPU I'm not sure that will help.

Other than that, be sure your cache and video files are located on your fastest available volume, that there is substantial headroom left on that volume, and that it is reasonably well de-fragged!

Jim_C
11-01-2003, 09:41 AM
Rzick,
Before I list a bunch of steps you may have done.
Have you streamilend xp itself by turning off a lot of the silly visual features and such? Also page file placement can help an underpowered system greatly, have you set that differently?
Let me know, and if not, I'll list some steps I know.

jim

AntAT
11-01-2003, 02:01 PM

rzick
11-04-2003, 12:47 PM
Thank you all for the excellent suggestions. These are being passed on to our operator.

Many of them have been implimented, but I know that others are not This should help greatly.

Rob Zick
WTBTS