PDA

View Full Version : black glass with dielectric node?

stevenpalomino
11-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Hey all,

I've been applying the dielectric node to materials without a problem when all of a sudden on the last object it seems like it turns the objects inside black? the other objects don't have this problem. I changed the inner object's color to blue and the black still shows as black so it's not a material color problem.. any ideas?

stevenpalomino
11-09-2012, 08:34 PM
it seems like when I turn my infinite light to 100% and my light cards to 0 that the geometry inside the glass gets white again (although it's darker). Still doesn't make sense why it would go black :/

stevenpalomino
11-09-2012, 08:53 PM
well.. I figured out that "directional rays" in global illumination fixes it... but it also doubles my render times..

Philbert
11-10-2012, 04:13 AM
Was that VPR? I've found that Dielectric doesn't render properly in VPR so tests have to be done the old F9 way.

stevenpalomino
11-10-2012, 08:55 AM
no.. strangely enough the opposite was happening.. VPR was rendering it right and F9 had the black haha

RebelHill
11-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Directional rays accounts for the ways refractive/reflective materials transmit/bounce rad rays... with if off, rays arent getting through the lid. You should be able to do it with just use transparency, but sometimes its not right. Easiest way is to make the outer object a separate item... its transparent anyhow, so can be excluded from rad shading.

stevenpalomino
11-10-2012, 10:05 AM
That's funny I was actually re-watching the video you did on global illumination cause I remembered you went through all the boxes and explained what they did. Thanks :) Does the manual go into depth on all these options? Or is there somewhere I can learn what all the options do?