PDA

View Full Version : Apple-like Spotlight search for ALL functions in Layout & Modeler (ADD THIS TO 11.5)

sami
11-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Why is this not here yet? Why is there not a textbox at the top of Modeler or Layout where I can type a few characters of the command or tags related to the command and get a quick list of where the command is in case it is rearranged or buried somewhere deep in some menu I've never seen or if it is installed by not available to the GUI?

Any app with this many commands should have this. It can't be that big a deal to implement and would make a big difference in putzing around looking for something that used to be somewhere in 9.x but now is somewhere else. I want to work on my content, not deal with your arbitrary arrangement of functions on tabs.

Sorry if the tone of this includes frustration, but this is a quick-win to simplify the UI and get with the times. Windows Start Menu has it, Apple OSX has it. Unity has it. thanks! I hope that can be added to 11.5.

Hail
11-09-2012, 12:14 AM
+1!
Ae has it, pre pro has it, even blender has it.
I wonder why lightwave seems to be lacking this.
Perhaps could be due to an architectural limitation?:confused:

Danner
11-09-2012, 06:22 AM
http://www.pixsim.co.uk/lightwave_lscripts.html

Run plugin is the name, but I think it works with any command.

sami
11-09-2012, 05:44 PM
thanks Danner - I'll check it out - it might be a good stopgap. But popping up a dialog is second best to an integrated textbox I could just type in there in the menu bar...

sami
11-09-2012, 05:55 PM

Dexter2999
11-09-2012, 06:05 PM
actually, I suggested this as a feature a couple of years ago.

However I suggested it be applied to a Middle Mouse Button menu. The full design of the menu was to have ten tools that a user could assign as a custom toolset, any number between 1 and 10. The balance of the spaces would be filled with recently used tools. And at the top would be a prompt for this type of search. Once you start typing the menu would be populated with tools matching the spelling.

The idea being at this point the user shouldn't have to navigate to a tool, but rather have the software bring the tool to the user. However, there are so many users who are fanatical in their drive to preserve every pixel, I don't think a dedicated space on screen all the time is the best way to go. Perhaps as an option?

jeric_synergy
11-09-2012, 06:16 PM
@&@ Get in line: I asked more than 2 years ago. :beerchug:

sami
11-10-2012, 08:51 PM

However I suggested it be applied to a Middle Mouse Button menu. The full design of the menu was to have ten tools that a user could assign as a custom toolset, any number between 1 and 10. The balance of the spaces would be filled with recently used tools. And at the top would be a prompt for this type of search. Once you start typing the menu would be populated with tools matching the spelling.

The idea being at this point the user shouldn't have to navigate to a tool, but rather have the software bring the tool to the user. However, there are so many users who are fanatical in their drive to preserve every pixel, I don't think a dedicated space on screen all the time is the best way to go. Perhaps as an option?

This sounds cool. However, I'm not so keen on the custom toolset stuff unless it is only a bonus. Half of the problem with lightwave is that it takes so long to configure to get just right. It would be nice if out of the box it just had the presets and smartest bits - everytime I reinstall or anything it is such a pain to organize plugins, to get my 3D Navigator controller setup right again. It shouldn't be this time consuming to get up and running "cleanly" if you know what I mean. I think a dockable search box - along with one that pops up on middle mouse as you say would be ideal - but it also should find things SMARTLY, based on traits of the commands or tags. I don't want to remember exactly the caption of the command in order for the search to bring it up. :)

jeric_synergy
11-11-2012, 08:55 AM
as to making things 'smart': I got pushback on the idea of "if I'm adjusting the colors on a item that has togglable colors (think Add Null macro), the software should assume I want that color ON."

So, getting people to agree on what's smart or not.... well, good luck with that. :grumpy:

ncr100
01-01-2015, 06:03 PM
OT Somewhat: A video demonstrating quick search through Pop-Up menus. Something like this has been added to the node editor, and the surface editor. (view fullscreen video at youtube to see even more detail)

IMO it would be a nice addition if this functionality were added to EVERY POP UP MENU ... type a key, and the menu filters + a text-field is added at the top of the pop up menu. Searching for "sock Monkey" in a giant list? Just type "sock" and hit RETURN...boom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6naggxtxQ8