PDA

View Full Version : CG Society: Battlestar Galactica Blood & Chrome :: Production Focus (Tons of LW work)

robertoortiz
11-08-2012, 06:37 PM
NBC Universal and Newtek gave CGSociety a close look at the production of the latest web-driven series of Battlestar Galactica, sub titled Blood & Chrome. Read about their green-screen studios, workflows and getting the results together to go live on the web.

http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/battlestar_galactica_blood_chrome

Bookman
11-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Thanks Roberto for the plug here. :)

I hope everyone enjoys it, it's been a long time coming, and a lot of patient waiting, but we are all happy it's finally going to be seen.

Netvudu
11-09-2012, 03:13 AM
Without having watched the film yet...congratulations on finishing it! Iīm eager to watch it!

Danner
11-09-2012, 05:26 AM
Wow! 1800 vfx shots in 6 months. I'm very impressed. The quality and quantity of work for the budget and time allowed is quite high.

Philbert
11-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Just watched the first episode. Pretty good!

http://youtu.be/pT79x4qM4FE

Markc
11-09-2012, 03:19 PM
I've been waiting soooo long for this, started watching first episode and that whole BSG feeling is still there in the show.
But I might wait for the dvd in February to enjoy it all together (depends if I can hold out).

Bookman
11-10-2012, 02:44 PM
There are 2 Episodes up!

@Markc: Here is the thing, the more people who watch it now, the more likely SyFy is going to do more, our hope is a new TV series, but I think if they put in the same kind of time and money, we'd still be happy with a web-series. (Work is good, working doing space ships? Priceless. :) )

@Danner: Thanks, yes there were at one point over 2,000 shots, but out of the 1,800 mentioned most of the shots were 2D comp shots, or shots that allowed us to do a lot of generic BGs with one BG that covered many many shots.

wesleycorgi
11-10-2012, 03:30 PM
I've still never seen most of BSG. Regardless, I've enjoyed the first two episodes of C&B.

ianr
11-12-2012, 09:44 AM
Hey, Mister Lightwave3d.com FrontEnd commander,

You should slap this on your front stall
as soon as you can clear permits?

Markc
11-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Ok I didn't last very long, I caved and had to watch the first two episodes.
Desperate for more now :)

KillMe
11-14-2012, 01:41 PM
first 2 eps look great - till i read the article had no idea that was all green screened - gonna watch again and see if i can tell second time round =) - just wish each episode was a bit longer - 10mins jsut enough to get you interested and bang its all over

TheDynamo
11-14-2012, 02:58 PM
I love the stuff so far. I would only have two small complaints: 1) You guys are a little too heavy on the lens flares, it's distracting. and 2) I want more epsiodes :D

-Rob

LW_Will
11-15-2012, 03:12 PM
I love the stuff so far. I would only have two small complaints: 1) You guys are a little too heavy on the lens flares, it's distracting. and 2) I want more epsiodes :D

-Rob
Thinking that is a DP/Director/Producer thing, not VFX.... "We want it to look like the new Star Trek! You know, they rebooted an old show; lens flairs. We redo an old show, we need LENS FLAIRS!)

Kinda like "More Cowbell"...

TheDynamo
11-15-2012, 10:04 PM
You know they overdid the lens flares when you see in the second episode the light bouncing off the people in the Raptor flaring. Last time I checked, human skin makes a poor light source, hence my criticism.

-Rob

Thinking that is a DP/Director/Producer thing, not VFX.... "We want it to look like the new Star Trek! You know, they rebooted an old show; lens flairs. We redo an old show, we need LENS FLAIRS!)

Kinda like "More Cowbell"...

PhotoTekArtWork
11-16-2012, 02:15 AM
Looking good. We need more.

bazsa73
11-16-2012, 02:56 AM
atomic! the little spaceships are firing laser missiles and the big spaceship EXPLODES! How cool is that.

robertoortiz
11-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Episodes 3 & 4 are up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXCnuArj4b8&list=PL549EB9DBB2FF8C24&index=2&feature=plcp

Waves of light
11-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Caught this on another thread in here. We watched the first two and they were excellent (albiet a little 'lens flarey').

Looking forward to sitting down and catching 3&4 this evening. Some excellent work guys (those who have worked on it).

Waves of light
11-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Oh 3 and 4 were excellent ... Valkyrie and Osiris looked very nice!

Markc
11-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Just watched 3 & 4, very cool.
SyFy really need to pick this up :)

Markc
11-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Episodes 5 and 6 are up :thumbsup:

Markc
12-01-2012, 08:09 AM
Also Episodes 7 and 8 too!

ianr
12-02-2012, 08:14 AM
:DHi LW_Will,
quote: 'we need LENS FLAIRS!'

do you mean Mr. DiCaprio's Trousers ??

(LOL)

Waves of light
12-02-2012, 08:32 AM
There were some bad tracking moments in 7 and 8 (a lot better than I could come up with, but still noticeable), but it's not taking away from the excellent story line and the models, animations.

robertoortiz
12-07-2012, 02:41 PM
The finale is up!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH8EDRptVAQ&feature=player_embedded#!

KillMe
12-07-2012, 05:13 PM
they really do need to make a complete series out of this - its WAY better than the BSG remake ( wanna say original but its not ;) ) - great work though but it deserves a proper budget for some sets - not that you really notice the lack but full series would probably call for some situations where it would be advantageous to have a real set

will it air on syfi in the uk? as i wanna see it big screen with no interuptions

Markc
12-07-2012, 06:31 PM
+1 this needs to be serialised.
Come on SyFy, broadcast some Scifi!

regular
12-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Fantastic! I couldn't stop watching all parts back to back.

Consider me addicted to BSG!

Extremely well done on all CG skill sets implementation.

prometheus
12-09-2012, 06:48 AM
Im getting to Old for this shi...sci-fi shows I guess, everyone here seems excited over this show, Im afraid I Only see to shaky camera direction, motions etc, sets not that impressive, explosions seen to death..Maybe Ivé seen to many hv explosions or something, a lot of turbulencfd in there, hard to say about them, but the problem is when you recognize them, instead of thinking how was that done..or was that real.

Dont know if it is the editing, art direction,concept art or something, but I do not get that excited over this, with one exception, whoīs that good looking brunette in the ship? Im not to old for that:)

Michael

KillMe
12-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Im getting to Old for this shi...sci-fi shows I guess, everyone here seems excited over this show, Im afraid I Only see to shaky camera direction, motions etc, sets not that impressive, explosions seen to death..Maybe Ivé seen to many hv explosions or something, a lot of turbulencfd in there, hard to say about them, but the problem is when you recognize them, instead of thinking how was that done..or was that real.

Dont know if it is the editing, art direction,concept art or something, but I do not get that excited over this, with one exception, whoīs that good looking brunette in the ship? Im not to old for that:)

Michael

when your to old for spaceships, guns and explosions with psychopathic robots thrown in for good measure then its time to hang up your 3d graphics credentials

prometheus
12-10-2012, 03:50 AM
when your to old for spaceships, guns and explosions with psychopathic robots thrown in for good measure then its time to hang up your 3d graphics credentials

Uhmm .Iīm 47 now, and I recall enjoying some of the prometheus stuff, and not long ago, galactica series...It could very much be so that this Galactica series isnīt executed well
in some of the departments as I mentioned, Or maybe I just got fed up with the style of the show or something, I dont know really.

In all fairness..I guess I need more material and more show episodes to watch and comment on.

Michael

JamesCurtis
12-13-2012, 10:38 AM
I don't really like the shaky cam cinematography! Despite the fact I know its used to convey a sense of live documentary style, I think its waaaaaay overdone! The rest is great from what I've seen so far.

KillMe
12-14-2012, 10:16 PM
personally i think it compares favorably with the show that spawned it, that show had way to much doom gloom and religious psychobabble, this looks much more upbeat but with the same visual style, and i actually think the green screen sets worked well for the most part - actually made parts of the galactica seem more real

so even as is i would welcome this as a series, need more spaceships on tv!

Cageman
12-16-2012, 07:46 PM
It could very much be so that this Galactica series isnīt executed well
in some of the departments as I mentioned, Or maybe I just got fed up with the style of the show or something, I dont know really.
Michael

Well... there are some bad shots in there for sure... but that is to be expected when the budget was what it was, and only 10 CG-guys doing over 2000 shots in 8 months.

When looking at shows, I allways try to figure out the timeframe and the number of people involved and what the digital assets actually was, except for the obvius ones. That does put things into perspective, I guess.

For a good measure; the first Lord of The Rings movie had "only" 540 VFX shots, there were over 200 people working on those for a similar amount of time that 10 CG-artists + a bunch of compositors did 2000+ vfx shots where 95% was all green screen.

Of course, those 540 shots will look a whole slew better. :)

Cryonic
12-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Number of shots + length of each shot is a factor. There may have been "only" 540 shots in LotR:FotR vs 2000 shots for BSG:B&C, but the length for the 540 might have been longer for the overall shots (3 hours of movie vs 40 minutes for the show).

DigitalSorcery8
12-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Of course, those 540 shots will look a whole slew better. :)

Very true - and a budget that FAR exceeded this new BSG pilot!

mikala
12-18-2012, 01:06 AM
Horrible start to finish. Ya I know, why watch? Wife is a huge fan and even she was more than a bit disappointed.
No wonder Syfy said no to this. They already have enough crap that they are paying for.
Why buy more.

prometheus
03-05-2017, 05:44 AM
Sorry to bring this up again, but I got an itch to do so after seing it..
I just managed to see almost the whole film this time, so I got to see even more vfx of it...unfortunatly it was just as bad as what I saw in trailers etc, bad textured environments, especially the planet they crash on, some smoke trails looked really bad, and the environment in general doesnīt seem to be melting in the foreground.
Some things looked good some explosions and fire with fluids, some did not, it looks like itīs all be handled by many different guys at different levels of skills, or some shots simple was made too fast.

Not sure what the fuzz was about when it was released and talked about in the lightwave magazines, I reckon it was because of the way they adapted environment rendered sets etc, but to me it looked plain bad.
Sincerely sorry if you guys who made this is reading it, but honestly..it wasnīt good, so be careful to rush away with effects...though I can understand it was limited with budget etc, that fact doesnīt help overcome the result in anyway though, hope you guys can take the critic and do better another time.

I couldnīt stand the gloom starburst filter applied all over the film either, I think the galactica series had way better vfx and look, the camera shake was overdone shaked as well..where they may have been successful in the galactica series for introducing it to scifi series, they somehow managed to overdo it here.

If I didnīt mention it before, the introduction of vue clouds wasnīt a good sucess, those cloud renders looks really bad..and I think I could even spot spherical clippings on the sky as well.