PDA

View Full Version : Tablet or No?

Bax33
11-07-2012, 07:38 PM
I've only been using LW for a year now (weekends mostly) and I was thinking about purchasing a tablet. Is it worth using a tablet for modeling and if so, what size is suitable? (small, med, large) Are there any features that are a must have for a tablet to be used with LW Modler and Photoshop (for textures)? Is the tablet useful in Layout? I'm leaning towards a Wacom tablet, but don't know if it should be Bamboo or Intous. Or should I just stick to using a mouse? Thanks ahead of time for your input.

geo_n
11-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Imho try the cheaper one like the bamboo. You may or may not like a tablet so try it out first. It will always be useful for photoshop and appz like 3dcoat. My issue with going full tablet is layout sucks for using tablet. Rmb and mmb on a tablet and selecting with tablet tip(lmb) with layout is nightmare for selection and animation in layout. Accidents will happen. Mouse is 100% more precise in layout. With modeller its better and more fluid with tablet.

erikals
11-07-2012, 08:16 PM
A Must Have... (for me)

Philbert
11-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Personally I wouldn't say tablets are good for modeling. I know some people do use it with LightWave though so I guess it's a matter of opinion. However it would definitely be useful for doing your texturing in Photoshop or 3D-Coat like geo-n said. If you do use it in LightWave be sure to check the options to switch it to tablet mode. In Modeler that's in the Interface tab of the Display Options (D key) without doing that the viewport acts all screwy and is basically impossible to control.

wrightyp100
11-08-2012, 01:50 AM
I've got one and never EVER use my mouse. Faster, more accurate. Quieter. Love it.

erikals
11-08-2012, 02:38 AM
I've got one and never EVER use my mouse. Faster, more accurate. Quieter. Love it.
agree, only time i could consider going back to a mouse is when i have to click on an extremely small area, like when click-dragging the dopetrack, doing that is no fun, but even with the mouse, it's too tricky...

oh, and mouse with many buttons is a plus... wish tablet pens had that :]

gerry_g
11-08-2012, 06:37 AM
yeah if you have good motor drive and a natural artistic bent there is no other way, having said that every time I demo a tablet to a friend they think I'm mad and you can see they are thinking it's the most unnatural thing ever and I stand there watching them struggle to come to terms with it, one time I actually had someone reach up and try and put the pen to the monitor ! Every thing said above is true, the tablet is the fastest impute method on the planet and your productivity will rocket, but only after a long bedding in period and just remember you live in a crazy three button mouse world and you will have to spend some time figuring out the modifier key equivalents, also if you're on Windows 7 you'll need to track down the thread on turning off all the crap that makes it so tablet unfriendly

fazi69
11-08-2012, 07:34 AM
Tablet is always useful. Even if it be too much in LW it is always nice when texturing work begins. In my case I prefer mouse in LW. One with lots of buttons.

Bax33
11-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Thanks for all the good information. I know this doesn't sound right, but does size matter? I've never used a tablet before so what do I base the needed size on?

erikals
11-08-2012, 10:40 AM
you'll work faster with a mid/size, so an A5 size is great...

only go for really big ones if you go for lots of painting / texturing.
(but note that those are slower to model / animate in)

erikals
11-08-2012, 10:43 AM
...also if you're on Windows 7 you'll need to track down the thread on turning off all the crap that makes it so tablet unfriendly

yepz, check > http://vimeo.com/8567716

Danner
11-08-2012, 12:34 PM
I boght one and used it as a glorified mouse pad for quite a while, till I got to work with a guy that uses his tablet exclusively and saw how fast and accurate he worked and I gave it another go and forced myself to use it for a week. The mouse seems so clumsy and slow now.

wyattharris
11-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Obviously people use it and like it in LW but I never got the hang of it. I tried it waaayyyyy back, probably version 5.5, and I was just to jittery to be accurate with it. That was a long time ago though, maybe I should try it again. Having said that, get a tablet anyway. Like everyone else said, you need it for texturing so give it a go in LW while your at it.

I've used large and mid-sized tablets. I didn't really notice a difference between using either so go for the cheaper if that matters.

zardoz
11-08-2012, 06:09 PM
well I use it always. I don't use the mouse. At work everybody use it with 3ds max, lightwave and xsi. There's one or two that don't use it and say "I tried and didn't get used to it!" I say "you didn't try it enough.
Through the years I've experienced this with other 'gadgets'. I played games in the zx spectrum and I tought that the joystick was crap. Then I gave it a go and I loved it. Then I had the same opinion about the controlers we have today, and I got used to them and now I think they rock (I still play FPS with keyboard and mouse). But I have the same opinion about the tablet. You need 2, 3 days, maybe a week to get used to it. Then you will never look at the mouse again. The guy next to me was a hardcore mouse fan. That one was tough. He lasted for maybe a week, then he used the pen in mouse mode for a month or two. Now he uses it like the rest of us and makes fun of the people that don't like to use it.

So my advice is don't give up. It takes time to get used to it. If after a day or two you think it's not for you, that is normal. But once you get used to it...

rdolishny
11-11-2012, 05:23 PM
I use tablets exclusively. It takes a couple of days of struggling but it's worth it.

The medium Bamboo is in the perfect sweet spot of price and functionality < $200.

Note with LW you need to change the preferences in both Modeller and Layout that you're using a tablet, otherwise it goes very strange.

It's strange to use but totally worth it. I'm 45 and have no carpal tunnel problems.

probiner
11-11-2012, 08:21 PM
how do you guys cope with numeric sliders and such? Unlike mouse LW seems to hit the window border and stop them instead of reseting the pointer position over them like with mouse. I also miss mouse-wheel when I use it :P

By the way, I saw zardoz using it the other day and I went :bowdown: for how fast he is with it. Guess the tablet must be part of LW's speed characteristic.

Cheers

geo_n
11-11-2012, 10:13 PM
So guys using tablets full time even in layout, you are using the mmb for selecting right? That's a bit slow imo compared to mouse. I can't use lmb/pentip for selecting in layout without accidentally creating a keyframe for the thing I want to select. How do you prevent accidental stuff happening in layout?
For modeller though I love it and my bamboo is going strong for 4 years now.

erikals
11-11-2012, 11:44 PM
can be tricky at times,
http://youtu.be/bFkd-Hg-fNQ

you have to hover over the object, then middle-click, be careful not to mistakenly touch the tablet surface.

it's one of the things you need to know about, left-clicking can be tricky.
middle-clicking is ok, if you have the option available...

you can go into IKB mode instead, but that is somewhat of a time-consuming method..

Bax33
11-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Thanks again everyone. I think I'll put this on my Christmas list, starting with something rather inexpensive like the medium Bamboo or maybe intuos. I'm trying to prioritize, tablet, LWCAD or zBrush. I still have so much to learn in LW that I don't know if I should even attempt zBrush. I don't really consider myself a character artist, but zBrush looks so intriguing. I'm getting off thread and better stop, but I know a tablet would probably work well with all these.

Philbert
11-12-2012, 10:35 AM
If you're into sculpting and texturing look at 3D-Coat as well.

zardoz
11-12-2012, 02:41 PM
well about sculpting, I don't know how to use 3dcoat. I tried Zbrush but I use Mudbox. From what I see it seems that zbrush is a lot more powerful than mudbox, but mudbox is more: import obj, sculpt, paint, export. Zbrush is more like: import object by dragging your cursor in the 2.5d canvas, do a lot of rituals that you don't know why, sculpt, etc, do some more rituals before exporting, and in the end the displacement map is 50% grey and you don't have any idea why...
With mudbox you spend 15 minutes showing how to paint or sculpt and everyone is ready to do something.

Areyos Alektor
11-12-2012, 06:36 PM
A tablet that's great, but it's even better with a Space Navigator.

erikals
11-12-2012, 08:45 PM
agree zardoz

ZB is just weird to me, i'd go for Mudbox, but it's too expensive, so next option is 3DCoat, which looks to be good.
but each has it's cons and pros...

some ZB MB 3DC threads >
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?123894-ZBrush-or-3DCoat-Which-should-I-choose
http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8477
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69404

Bay Raitt, the LOTR Gollum modeler seems to like 3DC, so should count for something,
but might be buggy/glitchy > http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10658

erikals
11-12-2012, 09:54 PM
A tablet that's great, but it's even better with a Space Navigator.

yes :hey: seriously considering getting one for navigating big scenes...

metahumanity
11-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Or should I just stick to using a mouse?

Using a what..?

Yes, Bamboo all the way, Intuos later.
And use your thumb to press the pen button, not the index finger (RSI danger, contrary to what Wacom wants to make you believe).

probiner
11-13-2012, 12:33 AM
Using a what..?

Yes, Bamboo all the way, Intuos later.
And use your thumb to press the pen button, not the index finger (RSI danger, contrary to what Wacom wants to make you believe).
Grab it like you mean it!!! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJWcg_322pc

I also used to hold it the wrong way.

Philbert
11-13-2012, 05:16 AM
Grab it like you mean it!!! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJWcg_322pc

I also used to hold it the wrong way.

This is very strange to me. Aside from feeling strange to press the button with my thumb, I normally hold pens and pencils closer to the tip. It's not comfortable for me to hold it further back like this technique requires.

BTW You may have noticed a little "water drop ripple" that appears every time you tap in Windows. In Vista and 7 there's a way to turn this off. Unfortunately this has been removed in Win8 so there's no easy way to disable it. I'm still looking for methods.

Bax33
11-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Ok, I couldn't wait until Christmas. I just received my Bambo Create today. Let the frustration begin (:-) for a little while anyway. Thanks to all. I appreciate the videos for setting up in windows 7 and all the feedback. Pros and Cons. Thanks

Philbert
11-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Congrats!

TheDynamo
11-17-2012, 09:20 AM
I could have saved you a few bucks had I caught this thread earlier. I decided to try one of those Monoprice 10x6 tablets for around $60 on Amazon. It doesn't have quite the sophistication of a Wacom but it has most of the abilities. So far it's been fun to use with no problems on my Windows 7 64 bit system.

-Rob

Ok, I couldn't wait until Christmas. I just received my Bambo Create today. Let the frustration begin (:-) for a little while anyway. Thanks to all. I appreciate the videos for setting up in windows 7 and all the feedback. Pros and Cons. Thanks

Shnoze Shmon
11-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Ahhh! I should never have read this thread! My need list just got added to. (sigh) ...I was so content with a mouse...