PDA

View Full Version : Will Lightwave5.6 run in Classic or OS9.2?

rebohn
03-03-2003, 08:25 PM
I'm finishing a project started 2 years ago in LW5.6. of course I am hot to upgrade, but according to NewTek, the models and scenes from 5.6 won't port to the new Lightwave. I'm wondering if I upgrade my dongle could I run both 5.6 and the latest LW on my G4 mac, with 5.6 running in classic or 9.2?
Has anybody tried this?
Richard

wapangy
03-03-2003, 09:56 PM
I'm not 100 percent sure, but last I remember, the dongle could not work through classic, I you boot straight to 9.2

I you get the lastest version, keep in mind that in works much better in OS X

I started with version 6, so I'm not sure, but I don't know if a new dongle would work with 5.6

I think you may be able to import 5.6 models, but I've never tried.

mlinde
03-03-2003, 10:10 PM
5.6d will run is OS 9.2, as long as you have installed the OpenGL drivers that come from apple. They may not install default in 9.2. I can't speak for the old ADB dongle working via a converter, if you are using a USB-ADB converter, it used to work with 8.6, but I upgraded to a USB dongle when I upgraded to 9.x.

When you can, upgrade to OS X and LW 7.5. You will find a huge improvement in the workflow of LW, although some old plug-ins no longer work (Steamer, PS Lite). Make sure and take the time to get to know the workflow improvements for 7.5, don't just keep working in your 5.6 methods (if you even can). The application itself is also much more stable under OS X.

I would NEVER suggest running LW in Classic, for the same reasons you would never run Quake in Classic -- the crossover of HW/SW/OS layers would kill your performance. You'd be better off running LW on an 8600 than in Classic!

rebohn
03-04-2003, 12:19 PM
Thanks, mlinde and wapangy, for the thoughts. I better stick with my old system however long it takes. I can buy a new copy of Lightwave for my new Mac of course if I can sell some of my work and nothing goes wrong with my car!