PDA

View Full Version : Strategies to Avoid Anti-Virus Installation?

Tim H.
11-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Hi all,

I recently visited a client that has an old SD-only TriCaster. When they showed me the problems they were having with it, I noticed that they had anti-virus software installed on it. They also mentioned how it got slower and slower as they added the Windows updates every week or two. The IT staff insisted that all systems in their facility must have anti-virus software.

They have already ordered a shiny, new TriCaster 455. Fortunately, I will be working directly with the IT staff with the setup of their new TC455 (it's currently in transit via FedEx).

They do live streaming from their facility, so it can't be completely off-line. I'm interested in hearing any strategies that we can offer the IT staff to encourage them to avoid installing their anti-virus software on their new TriCaster 455? Maybe a way to have it on an alternate network from their regular office Intranet?

Any recommendations or suggestions will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Tim Hedegaard
Virtualsets.com, Inc.
NewTek Authorized Reseller
Customized LiveSets for HD-series TriCasters

www.virtualsets.com
[email protected]

(323) 512-1542 voice

SBowie
11-07-2012, 08:54 PM
All AV software is not created equal, Tim. Some is more intrusive and demanding than others.The manual has a number of suggestions about this sort of thing, as well.

ZachSchuster
11-08-2012, 10:19 AM
If the IT department won't budge, you could always keep the 455 off the network completely and use a second computer for streaming. That's not ideal for installing updates and such, but it would get the job done. The best I can say is stress to them that, despite the 455 being a Windows based PC, it should not be looked at, or operated as, a Windows PC. It should be looked at, and operated as, a networked video appliance.

Don't browse the internet with them (save to set up stream profiles in the TC interface and installing updates), don't install office suites, third party editing, etc... on them. Virus check all thumb drives, etc... on a separate machine first.