PDA

View Full Version : Cool Hero 2 config. with HDSDI

vanderwielen
11-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Here's a cool configuration of a Hero 2 that I've built. It's battery or AC powered, trickles the Hero's battery, outputs HDSDI, allows for the connection of our famous 'dirty bomb' battery pack. This is a perfect POV, talent cam, dugout cam, backboard cam...completely self contained.

TakeOneDigital
11-08-2012, 12:20 AM
Here's a cool configuration of a Hero 2 that I've built. It's battery or AC powered, trickles the Hero's battery, outputs HDSDI, allows for the connection of our famous 'dirty bomb' battery pack. This is a perfect POV, talent cam, dugout cam, backboard cam...completely self contained.

Looks fantastic! I especially love the "battery powered" and HD-SDI parts. Can you tell us how you did it? What's in the "dirty bomb", like an Anton-Bauer battery or RC car batteries? Do you have a blackmagic HDMI-to-SDI being powered in there, too? How long does it last?

vanderwielen
11-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Looks fantastic! I especially love the "battery powered" and HD-SDI parts. Can you tell us how you did it? What's in the "dirty bomb", like an Anton-Bauer battery or RC car batteries? Do you have a blackmagic HDMI-to-SDI being powered in there, too? How long does it last?
Internally is a 12v 7ah battery with a charger. I convert HDMI to HDSDI with a BMD device. A cigarette lighter socket contains a USB charger for the go pro, keeping it topped off. Dirty bombs are additional 12v 7ah gell cell batteries with integral chargers and jumpers to power the go-pro box, ifb, wireless receivers and such. they're built into pelican cases.

in the best situation, 12v at 7ah is 84 watt-hours of capacity. assuming the go pro and converter draw 10-15 watts, they'll run 6-8 hours. however, ill always plug in the unit if possible.

ZachSchuster
11-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Internally is a 12v 7ah battery with a charger. I convert HDMI to HDSDI with a BMD device. A cigarette lighter socket contains a USB charger for the go pro, keeping it topped off. Dirty bombs are additional 12v 7ah gell cell batteries with integral chargers and jumpers to power the go-pro box, ifb, wireless receivers and such. they're built into pelican cases.

in the best situation, 12v at 7ah is 84 watt-hours of capacity. assuming the go pro and converter draw 10-15 watts, they'll run 6-8 hours. however, ill always plug in the unit if possible.

Seems pretty "clean" to me. When I was in college the low-end production unit in the Com department had a very unique work around for powering handheld cameras. They placed deep-cycle car batteries in Coleman coolers, drilled a 1-inch hole in to the side of the cooler and bolted a 4-pin XLR on to it. The sideline camera ops had to lug the cooler around any time they wanted to change location on the sideline.