PDA

View Full Version : Element 3D for AE or Lightwave 11.5 After Effects Integration?

rcallicotte
11-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Is there some way someone who knows would post a video or two or a fact or two about the Lightwave 11.5 After Effects integration? Element 3D looks great, but it means spending more money and I'm hoping this newer version coming out soon from Lightwave will be all I need, which could hopefully mean spending my money in other places.

Dillon
11-06-2012, 09:25 AM
The AE integration was conspicuously missing from all the demos they gave at Siggraph. I was pretty disappointed by that.

So it appears there is absolutely no information on the LW - AE integration. Elements looks pretty cool, but you're hog tied to their way and their textures of creating stuff.

Dillon

Is there some way someone who knows would post a video or two or a fact or two about the Lightwave 11.5 After Effects integration? Element 3D looks great, but it means spending more money and I'm hoping this newer version coming out soon from Lightwave will be all I need, which could hopefully mean spending my money in other places.

raw-m
11-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Get Element. It will save you time in the long run (and ultimately, money!) - it's a fantastic piece of kit! If anything, they will compliment each other. If it's anything like AE Link, LW will only send data (ie, positions/rotations/camera stuff....), not models. Element will load obj files or extrude text/shapes generated within AE - very useful and quick without going all out 3d! A simple bit of javascript will link up Elements position/rotation etc to the data from LW so everything will be in sync.

rcallicotte
11-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Where is this Javascript. :D

Get Element. It will save you time in the long run (and ultimately, money!) - it's a fantastic piece of kit! If anything, they will compliment each other. If it's anything like AE Link, LW will only send data (ie, positions/rotations/camera stuff....), not models. Element will load obj files or extrude text/shapes generated within AE - very useful and quick without going all out 3d! A simple bit of javascript will link up Elements position/rotation etc to the data from LW so everything will be in sync.

raw-m
11-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Simple pick-whipin' in AE...

rcallicotte
11-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Really? Brilliant. <sigh> Decisions, decisions. It would still help if I knew what 11.5's AE implementation (whatever) will be.

Simple pick-whipin' in AE...

djwaterman
11-06-2012, 10:01 PM
LW's intergration will be, can only be linking camera, lights and null positions, just like AE link does currently, it may go one step further and allow back and forth, but it can't export 3D models into AE if you were thinking along those lines. Element is it's own rendering engine inside of AE so it handles 3D models and so on. It's not a 3D model making program although you can extrude shapes and text. It really depends on what you are using 3D for. Motion graphics? Then Element will be worth the spend. Special Effects? Then it will come in handy to do quick stuff that doesn't have to be as high quality 3D, or you can get away with it because of the type of shot it is.

If you are really strapped for cash, just wait for LW11 and see how it works, technically you can make all the same things using LW as Element it just mean more work. Remember that Element has no raytraced shadows or transparency as yet, no big deal for motion graphics but a big deal for FX work.

rcallicotte
11-07-2012, 07:41 AM
Thanks DJ. Makes sense. I have 11 already, so I understand the beauty of it. But, seeing Element 3D do the effects, etc. is pretty fascinating.

LW's intergration will be, can only be linking camera, lights and null positions, just like AE link does currently, it may go one step further and allow back and forth, but it can't export 3D models into AE if you were thinking along those lines. Element is it's own rendering engine inside of AE so it handles 3D models and so on. It's not a 3D model making program although you can extrude shapes and text. It really depends on what you are using 3D for. Motion graphics? Then Element will be worth the spend. Special Effects? Then it will come in handy to do quick stuff that doesn't have to be as high quality 3D, or you can get away with it because of the type of shot it is.

If you are really strapped for cash, just wait for LW11 and see how it works, technically you can make all the same things using LW as Element it just mean more work. Remember that Element has no raytraced shadows or transparency as yet, no big deal for motion graphics but a big deal for FX work.

data3d
11-09-2012, 04:34 AM
The other nice thing about Element 3D is that its OpenGL rendering system is "wicked fast" (granted, no transparency or shadows yet.. although it's ambient occlusion settings can simulate decent self shadowing), and it can get you out of a pinch with certain types of animations in a big hurry. Excellent tool in the toolkit to compliment your Lightwave work.