PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun puzzle: wedges thru to center?

jeric_synergy
11-03-2012, 10:54 PM
I was reading that "bullet vs dynamics/soccer ball point cloud" thread, and the OP discussed how the object in question was a 'soccer ball' of wedges or something, which got me thinking:

"How would I make an object that had wedges running down from the surface polygons to the center?"

I figured 'better start simple' so I created a tessellated=1 'ball', which I believe is a form of dodecahedron -- anyway, you get twenty polygons. Spend about twenty minutes with Thickener, Multishift, and Unweld and I NEVER was able to get a satisfactory object.

One failed approach was: UNWELD (ALL), apply Thickener at negative value, select new polys and Scale to 0%. Couldn't make that work. Also tried Multishift.

Anyway, I just thought it would be an interesting, noob-level puzzle to put out there.

EDIT: to clarify: if you 'blew up' this object alá DPKit 'Parts', it would come apart in wedges.

meshpig
11-04-2012, 12:02 AM
What you might do with an = 1 tesselation is copy and paste it, resize to midway on the same layer, center and flip accordingly then unweld and bridge each face. Then select the points for F2, unweld, select connected, merge and voila.

meshpig
11-04-2012, 12:10 AM
... oops, you can't select connected after unweld but there used to a change selection from polys to points etc. whether unwelded or not, in 9 which isn't in 11?

jeric_synergy
11-04-2012, 01:31 AM
It's still there IIRC, it's just not in the menus. (wth?) I map it to ALT+G, and add it to the SELECTION Tab.

Kinda embarrassed: UNWELD, followed by MULTISHIFT, works fine. You have to eyeball the settings to get the corners right, and the minisliders in MULTISHIFT are depressingly coarse, but with a bit of keyboarding you can sneak up on the proper values reasonably quickly. At that point selecting the inner points is easy, and one can Size them down to nuthin', or for that matter just set them all to the origin.

Should look cool either in Bullet or via Larry's HardFX method.

XswampyX
11-04-2012, 05:18 AM
This sort of thing?

http://youtu.be/lzRi86rPlZk

jeric_synergy
11-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Exactly. --gahd, I suck.