PDA

View Full Version : FTB with smooth audio fade then autoplay

cuspclub
11-03-2012, 07:32 AM
I would like to be able to set the ddr to fade to black with an audio fade out before the ddr plays the clip, and then reverse this action when returning to the previous input.

When using a ddr for spots, I wouldn't have to leave 15 frames of black at the head and tail of each clip when the fade setting is .15 and autoplay is selected, just to get a fade to black before the ddr plays.

Currently the moment Auto is pressed with ddr selected in the preview bus and autoplay in the ddr is engaged, the ddr plays before the fade to black is completed, chopping off the beginnings and ends of clips.

An option for a smooth audio fade instead of a hard cut to the other source would sound so much nicer as well.

This way also, when playing back to back spots if you need a longer break, you wouldn't have a second of dead air between the spots (.15 at end of the first spot + .15 at the beginning of the next spot).

Why not just implement a mode on the DDR called Spot Break that does this? One click and you are good to go :-)

Need more than one spot during the break? Just unselect Single in e DDR and watch the playlist roll until You are ready to go back to the live show, all with no gaps and smooth transition and audio fade back to live when ready.

SBowie
11-03-2012, 07:51 AM
It's early, and I read that quickly, but if I am not too far off the mark (and without meaning to ignore the suggestion) you might be able to use a workaround. If you have a spare media player, and drop in a black graphic (or 'no graphic'), and switch to it with audio follow on, I think you might get a result not unlike what you're after. I thin kyou might also be able to use an unused Net input in this manner.

cuspclub
11-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Steve. If I understand it right, that would get a fade to black, but the audio would still hard cut I believe, and i would have to manually switch to the ddr and back from the black source to the live input with a hard audio cut.

It would be great to automate the entire process so I hit Auto to go from a camera to ddr smoothly with fades and the ddr waits till the fades are complete, then plays and back to live smoothly, all performed by one command.

I believe a Spot Break mode would be a very useful to lots of us multi-tasking Tricaster folks.

SBowie
11-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Actually, just to explain - there is a brief audio crossfade with Follow. It used to be a half second, but it was shortened to something like 5 frames by popular demand. That's why I suggested this as a workaround. If you have an unused still player, it's not really any more effort than using an FTB.

cuspclub
11-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Making the audio amount adjustable would be one request then :-) It's too quick for some uses.

I could use one of my unused Net players on my 450 Extreme for the procedure that you suggested, but won't I have to hit multiple buttons at each break: One to put a black source in preview, Net 2 in my case, and another to hot switch the program buss to the DDR set to AutoPlay... And then, while the spot is playing, set the black source in preview, and once this has occurred, put the camera input in preview and press Auto to fade back to the camera input?

SBowie
11-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Yes, you're right, it's not as convenient, just a workaround. Another possible (dev) solution would be making the FTB audio crossfade automatically inherit the timing of its transition.

cuspclub
11-03-2012, 12:35 PM
That would help with the audio question for sure Steve. If we had that audio change, with a magic button to let fades to a ddr complete before the media player starts when using AutoPlay, and let he ddr clip finish before fading back, we'd be set.

SBowie
11-03-2012, 04:00 PM
I don't think many would really want an Auto to complete before play begins (or the reverse on Auto out), honestly. That would give you a noticeable 'jerk' in most cases.

cuspclub
11-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Are you saying the first frame or two of the ddr clip playback would have noticeable jerk?

SBowie
11-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Certainly once most transitions have progressed even a short way, you can see some amount of the DDR clip on the display. If it's just sitting there frozen on the first (or last) frame, it would be quite apparent to viewers.

cuspclub
11-03-2012, 06:46 PM
I see what you're saying. That makes sense.

Could I put a single frame of black at the head and tail of each spot so it would be frozen on a black frame? That would still be better than the 15 frames on both heads and tails of clips I'm currently using.

Thanks for your help. Just thinking out loud.

Another useful reason that being parked on the first and last frame before the ddr plays might be a handy option is for replays. Sometimes I wish the replay clip wouldn't start while a transition is occuring. It would be cool to have the clip hold on the first frame of the action until the transition is over going into and out of replay. Then after the replay is finshed the ddr could hold the last frame as the transition takes place. Currently I have a two second custom transition selected for into and out of replay and I have to be careful not to mark my in and out points too close or the transiton could cover over part of the play I want to show on-air.

Maybe I'm totally off base on this, but it seems like it could work.

SBowie
11-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Generally, you want clips to be playing through the transition, and trim them accordingly. It's quite common in replay systems too, which is why 3Play has adjustable padding on either side of the in and out marks. I take your point about sometimes want to start or end on a still, although I suspect it's a much less common use case. The simplest thing to do in that case would be to turn Autoplay off for the DDR you're running the replays out of - though you wouldn't want to be caught napping, since you'd need to manually run the Auto back to live.

cuspclub
11-03-2012, 07:46 PM
I may try taking autoplay off and see how it goes.