PDA

View Full Version : Interpolated Radiosity with Animation

tcoursey
11-02-2012, 03:00 PM
So I've been using interpolated radiosity for years now. Pretty straight forward. Set your settings for the radiosity solution you want, bake as many frames as you need for the scene. I usually use 25 frames for the step. Then LOCK the cache file and put in the render queue. All is good.

I've tried to do some animation in the scene, objects moving etc. And I always get wierd flickering issues.

Is there a trick to using Animation check box with interpolated radiosity, tutorials somewhere?

Thanks for any advice.

VonBon
11-03-2012, 06:57 PM
I havent had a chance to figure it out myself yet, but i might have to breakdown and buy this.

http://www.cmivfx.com/tutorials/view/440/Lightwave+Flicker+Free+Animated+Radiosity

vector
11-04-2012, 03:51 AM
Rays low values are not recommended for baked radiosity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YFZ2av-BLg&feature=youtu.be

http://es.scribd.com/doc/90838394/249/Global-Illumination-Backdrop-Only-Radiosity

I'm not an expert on that but thanks to Max from Lightwave Amigos Facebook group for this links :) that recently he has added.

tcoursey
11-06-2012, 12:49 PM
ok broke down and bought the tutorial video....to others....It's not a magic bullet tutorial on how to make animated radiosity work with a few correctly sequenced clicks.

Rather it's more of a full description on how Lightwave's radiosity works and how to understand it, so that it can be setup to have animated radiosity.
It's a very good tutorial/video by a very we'll known LW'er. great insight on how to optimize and have trade-offs in your radiosity production.

Thanks to all.

Phil
11-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Heh. Usually, I've gone a different route and either used Kray or, with LW 11, opted for full-blown non-interpolated MC radiosity with 1 RPE; a very low AS value, along with a very low minimum and a really high maximum sample value pair for AA. Dropping lighting and shading samples to 1 as well, for good measure. That seems to be OK-ish and does a decent drop of placing samples where needed to clean up noise.

RebelHill
11-06-2012, 04:10 PM
It's not a magic bullet tutorial on how to make animated radiosity work with a few correctly sequenced clicks. Rather it's more of a full description on how Lightwave's radiosity works and how to understand it, so that it can be setup to have animated radiosity.

Yep yep. I reli dont like doing standard walkthroughs... they're nice and helpful for folks when they're first starting out, but after that ur left with one solution to one given situation... I much prefer to try and pull things apart so as folks can see the inner workings, and how to put them together dynamically as different projects require.

Glad you liked.

khan973
11-15-2012, 08:37 AM
Hi Rh, I've bought the tutorial on cmi vfx but you never say if the technique only work with MC or also with FG.
I tried but with FG I have splotches across renderfarm and MC is far too slow (I have many areas). Does the camera choosen changes something?

rcallicotte
11-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Agreed. This style of teaching provides fuel for experimentation, which is where the learning becomes real. Great series, RH. And I like your node tutorials, too - another great way to learn nodes.

ok broke down and bought the tutorial video....to others....It's not a magic bullet tutorial on how to make animated radiosity work with a few correctly sequenced clicks.

Rather it's more of a full description on how Lightwave's radiosity works and how to understand it, so that it can be setup to have animated radiosity.
It's a very good tutorial/video by a very we'll known LW'er. great insight on how to optimize and have trade-offs in your radiosity production.

Thanks to all.

RebelHill
11-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Hi Rh, I've bought the tutorial on cmi vfx but you never say if the technique only work with MC or also with FG.
I tried but with FG I have splotches across renderfarm and MC is far too slow (I have many areas). Does the camera choosen changes something?

There' a couple different tricks there for doing interpolated animated, and they should work the same irrespective of the rad type chosen. However... do notice the differences between the types, as noted in the rad intro vid on my YT. FG doesnt deal with interior (enclosed) spaces as well as MC (it splotches a lot)... its better at open spaces, unless you up the samples (rpe) much higher.

khan973
11-16-2012, 01:56 AM
Ok, thanks good to know, I watched the one on your Youtube already ;)