PDA

View Full Version : Tally lights Tricaster 40

Misthery
11-02-2012, 09:13 AM
I discovered that Tricaster 40 doesn't support the tally lights. I think this is an important feature so, if it isn't possible to implement this in the hardware, please give us the opportunity to use an external device controlled (USB?) by a software in tricaster.
Thank you.

Dominicc
03-13-2013, 01:12 PM
WOW Fallen on deaf ears it seems??? I'm having the same issues with Schools who had TC-Studio unit which had tally. Or those who budgeted for STUDIO models last year who now will get TC40 systems. The talent has no idea what camera is on them and you can't have a kid be a floor director to tell them because they will shout it out...

Videolink
04-02-2013, 08:44 AM
We use a DataVideo itc100, its a great package with intercom and tally lights $1100.00

Dominicc
04-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Bruce,

Please explain how this actually functions. The ITC-100 is looking for a tally connection from the Data Video Switchers it supports. How is a TC40 going to connect to this to fire off a closure? it uses a 15pin tally in connection to mate to their SE500 up to the SE900 switchers. So how are you connecting this to work?

tedkazm
04-03-2013, 07:32 AM
Tally-Lights.com has a controller that works with the Datavideo ITC-100 Tally Port.

It works with all Tricasters except the Pro and Model 40

Email or call (248-331-6793) for further information.

Dominicc
04-03-2013, 07:56 AM
Ted,

The whole point of this discussion is that if you have a TC40 it has no tally, yet the main model it replaced (TC-STUDIO) did and now this is becoming a difficult issue to resolve for customers. NewTek is leading with this unit because of it's price point. But does matter. How are you going to trigger a tally light attachment on a camera when the TC40 can't send a trigger?. It has to start there. This unit is totally being used by professionals whether they are a private small production guy, a school for live broadcasting internally or a government customer. This issue needs to be fixed by NewTek.

SBowie
04-03-2013, 09:12 AM
TriCaster 40 (by contrast with 455, 855 and 8000) is not marketed as a "professional" model, and its design does not directly support tally. Actually, it is incorrect to see it as an 'HD replacement for TriCaster Studio', even though in many ways it outshines that earlier system. (The system that arguably did serve as the 'HD Studio' was probably the TCXD300, which does have tally. Note too that TriCaster 40 costs considerably less than TriCaster Studio did.)

This said, the NewTek Developer Program exists for exactly this sort of reason. Among other things, it provides the information a third-party developer needs to prepare an outboard tally solution (and there is good reason to believe there's a market for one - or more). NewTek also provides additional discretionary assistance to Developer Program members at times. Dr. Cross has said he earnestly wants to see that there are viable tally options for all users and would be happy to help make it work, or support an existing external device if someone points us at one. I can also say that there has been some developer interest in such a project, but it's not my place to say more than that.

Dominicc
04-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Well everyone has a different opinion. I'll leave it with this final comment...

Marketing it as a professional model or not is all in the wording my dear friend. The fact is, its a $5,000 box and not a toy. At this cost and based on its abilities completely puts it in line for dozens of professionals to use, no matter how you say it. But when you had the previous models: Studio, Broadcast and XD300 all having the tally then it shouldn't have been overlooked. Technically this is the defacto direct replacement for those discontinued models. NewTek can believe otherwise but that is like walking around with blinders on.

So the unit has been out what some 8+months now and no one has ever stated on release that its not a professional until. This comment was made to me a month ago. Pricing is the same as an 'EDU TC-STUDIO @ $4,995.00' so its most certainly is a direct replacement for any (i.e., TC100, PRO, Studio) that they don't want to support anymore. It's in a shuttle chassis right? (see comment sent by marketing: Reviewer - Ned Soltz had this to say about TriCaster 40: "Nothing touches TriCaster in the streaming arena. And now TriCaster power and functionality are available in a less expensive, feature-packed product. Suitable for churches, schools, non-profits and smaller content providers."

Link: http://www.creativeplanetnetwork.com/dv/feature/start-streaming-newteks-tricaster-40-opens-opportunities/62097

(All are professional users)

NewTek was directly marketing this product in the past 3 months to trade up to a TC40 if you had one of the previous units. Less inputs isn't a big issue, but tally is. If this was for Wayne's World Home use, no one would care.

SBowie
04-03-2013, 01:52 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree on some items, I'm afraid. Retail on a Studio was nearly double the cost of a 40, and there are very obvious difference between the 'professional' TriCaster models and TriCaster 40. Honestly, it should not come as a surprise to anyone who has one (or resells them) that the 40 design doesn't include tally. This has been clearly stated all along.

Again, this all said, I don't disagree on the usefulness of tally support, and NewTek stands ready to work with 3rd parties on this.

p.s., I don't disagree with N. Soltz. It is "less expensive", "feature packed" and "Suitable for churches, schools, non-profits and smaller content providers". I might have added, "Of course another TriCaster might well be a better fit for those with more advanced needs and less restrictive budgets".

Videolink
04-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Thanks Ted, That's absolutely correct!, Most of our sales are TC455/855, and the TC40 has yet to bring tally lights in to play.
I'm hoping they come up with some solution via usb for future upgrades on the software. The point is, we definitely need a solution for this. Keep us posted!

Wink
04-03-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm going to have to agree with Dominicc and Bruce on this one. A high def. switcher that doesn't have tally capabilities is missing a feature that should be there.

SBowie
04-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Be that as it may, Wink, there is no tally port on TriCaster 40, so ultimately any eventual solution is going to be external as I've been saying. One can quibble about the decision endlessly, but it's not going to change the hardware. I might even personally lean toward the 'shoulda' camp, but I have to admit the numbers vigorously suggest that a LOT of people really don't care.

ACross
04-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Long before this thread started I have actually been looking for a solution for Tally in all of our products that goes well beyond what we currently do. The reality is that our products now have far more than just 4 or 8 inputs and one really would like to be able to drive Tally for much more than the basic cameras; for instance I can think of a lot of cases in which it would be incredibly useful to have additional Tally outs for DDRs, GFX, etc... Even the 40 should really have much more than just 4 tally outs IMHO.

I have been looking around to try to find an inexpensive and expandable solution that we might be able to support so that users can easily build up the level of Tally that they want or need for their needs. If anyone has any good suggestions to look at please do not hesitate to email me ([email protected]). This is an area that particularly interest me, so I'll personally write the code if that is what it takes.

Andrew

Videolink
04-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Andrew, we love what you have created, and I'm guessing that's why we are so passionate about it, and that being said, I'm sure a solution will present itself eventually. Even though its not everything we want, it is still much more than anyone else has out there. Thanks for paying attention to our needs and wants, and responding.
Bruce

Wink
04-03-2013, 08:25 PM
That's what's so cool about NewTek, they really do listen... and as Andrew showed, they're usually a head of the curve in future development. It doesn't surprise me that this feature was already on NT's radar. Sometimes, it seems, we're just stating the obvious hoping to get a glimpse of what's in the works.

Wink
04-03-2013, 08:39 PM
That's what's so cool about NewTek, they really do listen... and as Andrew showed, they're usually a head of the curve in future development. It doesn't surprise me that this feature was already on NT's radar. Sometimes, it seems, we're just stating the obvious hoping to get a glimpse of what's in the works.

tedkazm
04-04-2013, 06:12 AM
I'm working on a controller that will use the USB port to monitor the tally light output and turn on the tally lights when needed.

It is still in development.

I will let everyone know when it is ready to be released.

ZachSchuster
04-04-2013, 06:49 AM
I've sent a suggestion on to Andrew. Tally lights are great, but let's be honest, they're not required. I've produced sports productions with students for 8 years without tally lights and last year one of our proudctions was nominated for an award.

A director properly calling cameras and a floor director that can point left and right is far more valuable. Indeed, it keeps everyone on their toes.

adebats
04-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Totally agree with Zach - Tallys are not essential at all and mostly often we dont use them. For some complex jobs with 12+ cameras we may use them for some cameras and I like the idea of something external looking after it. With additional cameras being brought in via the Blackmagic videohub and software driven there is an external solution out there somewhere. Just needs inventing (and needs to be something that talks to the videohub as well Ted).

jcupp
04-04-2013, 02:37 PM
metaSETZ will be shipping new tally controllers in May that will work with the TC40. We've been working on this for a while and are polishing up the software and having boards made. Keep an eye on the metasetz.com web site (link in my sig).

kanep
04-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Jeff, can't wait to see it!

Labmaster
04-28-2013, 09:13 PM
Is TC40 supporting network communications ?
Means, is a device on the ethernet able to query informations from the TC40, like on the bigger models ?

If so, why not making an Ipod app for using a ipod as tally light, simply showing a colored screen on the ipod as tally status, should be bright enought to be clearly recognized by the tallent ?

best regards,
Walter

ACross
04-29-2013, 07:51 AM
Is TC40 supporting network communications ?
Means, is a device on the ethernet able to query informations from the TC40, like on the bigger models ?

Yes, the TriCaster 40 supports TCP/IP control like all of the other TriCaster units.

If so, why not making an Ipod app for using a ipod as tally light, simply showing a colored screen on the ipod as tally status, should be bright enought to be clearly recognized by the tallent ?

This is a pretty interesting idea that I have never seen suggested before. Its somewhat of an expensive Tally system, but then again it is completely wireless, etc...

As a result of this thread I added a native Tally SDK to all of the TriCaster units that should make adding additional Tally support to any TriCaster unit really very easy. This is already available for testing through the SDK program if anyone wants it.

Andrew

UltimateTV
05-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Yes, the TriCaster 40 supports TCP/IP control like all of the other TriCaster units.

This is a pretty interesting idea that I have never seen suggested before. Its somewhat of an expensive Tally system, but then again it is completely wireless, etc...

As a result of this thread I added a native Tally SDK to all of the TriCaster units that should make adding additional Tally support to any TriCaster unit really very easy. This is already available for testing through the SDK program if anyone wants it.

Andrew

Andrew, thanks for this new SDK. It's cool :thumbsup:

We thought it is an interesting idea, and we are using the new Tally SDK to create an application that sends the information of Tally to mobile devices.
We hope that the app is available in a couple of weeks.

jcupp
05-18-2013, 03:01 PM
Tally for the TC40 (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?135600-New-Tally-Controllers-for-TriCaster-including-TC40&p=1322542#post1322542) from metaSETZ shipping June 18.