PDA

View Full Version : SAVE AS COPY in Modeler, of existing object currently active in Layout?

jeric_synergy
11-01-2012, 06:33 PM
This seems like there must be an obvious solution that I'm just spacin' on....

Suppose you're desiring to save an identical copy with all its layers as they are*, in Modeler, but the object in question is currently active in Layout. If you save a copy from Modeler, it will rename the object currently in Layout, which is what you do not want.

Is there a fast way to do this???

You can save a Copy from Layout, but not from Modeler, it seems. --To moi, it just seems awkward and inelegant to HAVE to save a copy from Layout, and then load it into Modeler. SAVE AS COPY seems like a basic function which Modeler should have.

(*Copy pasting for most significant objects would flatten the layers, which I'm also trying to avoid.)

Danner
11-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Oddly enough that is the behaviour I usually want.
When I make a copy of the object in modeler using "save as" or an incremental save, I DO want layout to know I'm using the new object.
If you don't want the new version of your object in your scene, just save the scene before doing the save as in modeler, then reload your scene after the save as.

You could save the scene before, then after the "save as" that way you have a scene with the old object and one with the new. Just name them acordingly.

jeric_synergy
11-02-2012, 12:29 AM
Oh, it's USUALLY the behaviour I want too. BUT, it does seem IMO a weird missing functionality in Modeler. All those options you list are just as click-laborious as the current alternative: I was just hoping there was a better way.

jwiede
11-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Oh, it's USUALLY the behaviour I want too. BUT, it does seem IMO a weird missing functionality in Modeler. All those options you list are just as click-laborious as the current alternative: I was just hoping there was a better way.
If I understand correctly, this could be solved by a checkbox (default on) in the "Save as Copy" dialog for "Update Layout to use object copy". Or is there more to it?

Cageman
11-03-2012, 01:11 PM

Turn off the hub? :)

What Danner wrote is currently the only way to do it; save your scene before you use Save As in modeler, then reload your scene. Not sure how many clicks that are though, but not that many, especially if you use shortcut keys for Save As and Load Scene. :D

ShadowMystic
11-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Save the file. Go to file location. Hold ctrl and drag. Object copied.

Cageman
11-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Save the file. Go to file location. Hold ctrl and drag. Object copied.

Yeah... that is another way to do it, of course! :)

ShadowMystic
11-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Heh, I wasn't meaning to be a smart A**. Just know sometimes that we can overlook a simple solution.

jeric_synergy
11-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Heh, I wasn't meaning to be a smart A**. Just know sometimes that we can overlook a simple solution.
Hah, no, that was a good one. Heck, can probably do it in the LOAD dialog.

(Still seems an odd facility to not have, but that's an excellent workaround.)

Sensei
11-03-2012, 09:09 PM
TrueArt's Duplicate Object video tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz-UDj8hYYY
;)