PDA

View Full Version : Weight maps: name collisions-- an issue? EG, in the node editor?

jeric_synergy
11-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Is it a problem for weight maps applied to different objects to have identical names?

Areyos Alektor
11-01-2012, 07:42 PM
It seems to me that not but by convention it is :)

It's best to always specify the name of the object and provide a minimum level of information in the name of a map would either vertex or bitmap.

Why ? You had a problem with ?

jeric_synergy
11-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Well, not yet, but I'm trying to anticipate problems. (I know anticipating problems (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/30/michael-brown-obama-hurricane-sandy_n_2044971.html) goes against some peoples' ideas..... ) :hey:

Specifically , a nodal displacement network that relies on Weight Maps, but is using CLONES, so ipso facto the W.Maps are gonna be the same name. I'm not sure if the differentiation supplied internal to the node editor will do the trick or what.

Now, this is where the data representation in Blender or C4D has it all over LW: since there's a explicit hierarchy of data, you can SEE what's going to affect what. LW hides too much data, e.g. simply finding an Item ID# is convoluted.

Areyos Alektor
11-02-2012, 08:26 PM
It has its good and its bad side, remains, that be methodical and apply the conventions is the best way to anticipate problems. Because whatever it, problems, is to always meet ;)

dwburman
11-03-2012, 09:57 AM
My guess is that it would not be a problem since you're adding the displacement onto an object Via the object properties panel. It should only see/evaluate the vmaps of the object you're working on. Are you trying to think of a way to reference the vmaps of one object to get them to effect the object you're trying to displace?

Having the same weight map name could be an issue/problem if you want to reuse a node setup on several objects or perhaps with some global materials (True art plugin), and you want different results on the different objects, but it seems more likely that you'd more frequently want all the similarly named weight maps to do the same thing.

Sensei
11-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Having the same weight map name could be an issue/problem if you want to reuse a node setup on several objects or perhaps with some global materials (True art plugin),

It might confuse user, but not be problem in LW.

LW has just one list of vertex maps in the whole app.

jeric_synergy
11-03-2012, 06:29 PM
It might confuse user, but not be problem in LW.

LW has just one list of vertex maps in the whole app.
See, this is the bit that worries me (still haven't started animating).

It'd be like all the subroutines in a program sharing ALL variables. --Unless the 'text name' of a w.map is not really what LW uses to reference it, instead using a numeric index into the list of maps.

Sensei
11-03-2012, 07:08 PM
LWSDK is looking up vmap pointer by vmap name. Programmer usually is doing it in Init() function of node or so just once (because searching for data by its name is slow, so shouldn't be done in Evaluate(), it would slow down rendering). So searching is done 1 time per clicking F9 or F10 or VPR restart.

End user doesn't have to care or think about it at all.

Again you're searching for not existing problems..