PDA

View Full Version : Part Select in modeler

jasonwestmas
10-31-2012, 06:05 PM
Since Parts and Point Section sets are the closest thing we have to quickly selecting an "Object" or "polygroup", is there a plugin or script out there that would allow us to just click on an edge or face to select a group of polys that are in a part or set? It's just way to time consuming to select a part in a dropdown menu and then click on yet another button to select a poly group.

OOOOORRRR, allow us to at least select the selection set from the vertex map list so that the polygons become highlighted and editable.

I'll keep looking. This is nice for when you can to duplicate and move a lot of things manually. But seriously modeler is way too clicky for this kind of work.

jasonwestmas
10-31-2012, 07:31 PM
Now here is a really nice selection tool idea. Super nice, I would like that idea expanded upon for modeler.

http://mentalfish.com/2010/02/quick-selection/#comment-212

erikals
10-31-2012, 08:07 PM
yep, also check >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VvUq5rhVN4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmWKK5E_g38

Sensei
10-31-2012, 08:23 PM
TrueSelect
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaHWBsTiL7s

Either in connected by edge or entire Part/Surface.

Afalk
11-01-2012, 04:34 AM
These are some really neat and useful suggestions :) Will be investigating the lot of them. Thanks for all the usefull links!

tburbage
11-04-2012, 11:34 PM
OOOOORRRR, allow us to at least select the selection set from the vertex map list so that the polygons become highlighted and editable.
Well, Point Sets, Parts, Surfaces, and Sketch/Wireframe Color sets are all selectable via the Statistics panel -- not the same as your original workflow suggestion, but I definitely use these frequently...

jasonwestmas
11-05-2012, 06:54 AM
Well, Point Sets, Parts, Surfaces, and Sketch/Wireframe Color sets are all selectable via the Statistics panel -- not the same as your original workflow suggestion, but I definitely use these frequently...

Oh yes, I am aware. . .modeler can do just about anything but I was looking for faster workflows that avoid the tedious nature of drop-down menus and clicking too much.

jeric_synergy
11-05-2012, 12:11 PM
The only problem with that is the Stats panel FORCES the user to use dropdowns, which are dead slow to interface with (I can show you the research).

It's be SO nice if there was a little expandable list of {all the above elements} that ONE click would select, but nooooooooooooooooooooo....

{But fortunately TrueArts has this covered for us.}

MarcusM
11-06-2012, 03:18 AM
How many times you spend time on selecting polygons and click by mistake somewhere close button and all selecting dissapear... it is so annoying.
Why mouse scroll not zoom...
After many years, today i discover that scroll button working in Modeler, on rotation button, in perspective ;]

erikals
11-06-2012, 03:29 AM
How many times you spend time on selecting polygons and click by mistake somewhere close button and all selecting disappear... it is so annoying.
i know, not a big fan of it, too easy to make a mistake, especially with no redo on selections :/
NT needs a fix, i've been suggesting an auto-save last 10 selections function earlier, but so far, nada...

i use middle-click btw to deselect... (faster)

After many years, today i discover that scroll button working in Modeler, on rotation button, in perspective ;]
yes, but not that useful function in LW11, but in LW11.5 it will be (with the new modeler tools)

MarcusM
11-06-2012, 03:45 AM
i use middle-click btw to deselect... (faster)
)
I get used to shift/ctrl + left MB ;]

jasonwestmas
11-06-2012, 07:22 AM
How many times you spend time on selecting polygons and click by mistake somewhere close button and all selecting dissapear... it is so annoying.
Why mouse scroll not zoom...

Oh my, I wish I could turn that feature off.