PDA

View Full Version : What do the guru's use for storyboarding?

mathews20
10-31-2003, 12:35 PM
Hey all, asking for advice here.

I use my video toaster for hobby stuff, and even at that they're mostly family videos and stupid skits (I realize using the VT is overkill for this). I'd like to do much larger sequences (not to mention serious) in my productions.

One thing that has deterred me is having to do large storyboards for preparation. I've found some software online, but I was wondering what the professionals/gurus use before I go sinking money into more software. One package I found seems pretty useful, but since this is a hobby for me I'm probably not aware of other software out there.

I've found that in order to attract others to participate they need to visualize what I want to produce and generally stick figures for a storyboard doesn't help uninclined people to see the end goal.

I guess what imagine is something that I can slap some clipart together to get the scene with some aspect/ratio, add text... I don't want to use something like Paint Shop Pro or Adobe Photoshop it has far to many features to fumble around with and slow me down. The software I found online is called StoryBoard Quick and seems to look like what I want, but I've been fooled by marketing before.

Since I haven't used Aura to any great degree, I posted a similar message in that community to see if that is an option.

Again, what do producers use?
Thanks in advance.

Jim Capillo
10-31-2003, 01:42 PM
LOL!

Honestly, I haven't used a storyboard in years. IMHO, it just adds to the work load. There are some clients who will come in with a rough storyboard just to give an idea of what they're looking for, but for the most part, I don't bother to provide them with it. Non-linear editing (and the inherent immediate, spontaneous quick change edit) has pretty much made it obsolete, at least for what I'm doing - commercials. It's easier to make the quick change than to draw it out and talk about it. The closest I come to a traditional storyboard is a 20 question form that the client fills out before the production date. It gives me an idea of what they are looking for and allows me to translate them into needed shots. I guess that's somewhat like a semi-storyboard, but nothing like a traditional storyboard.

That said, they are many ways to do it - there are a few good programs out there, or you can get as simple as capturing a few stills from your footage and pasting them up in Word.

Devise yourself a routine that you can work efficiently and quickly from...... if that includes storyboarding shots/scripts, fine. Just remember the name of the game is money, and time expended = less money in your pocket !

mathews20
10-31-2003, 02:32 PM
Thanks Jim,

I can see what you're saying and it sounds like what I do for my skits now since they're not more than 5 minutes worth for the longer ones, usually only 60-90 seconds.

I guess I'm wanting to do like a made for TV type movie, not that I would show it on TV but it'd be long like 60-90 minutes. Being that it is a hobby of mine I figured that I'd need to have all the scenes laid out so that I know to get all the shooting done in one location than later realizing I'm missing stuff and either no longer having access to the location for those scenes or having to invest more time and effort to duplicate the setting.

All of this aside, there's still the need to recruit people for the videos and being able to show then rather than describe what I envision.

From what you wrote, when you did do storyboards did you do them by hand?

-Steve

Jim Capillo
10-31-2003, 03:29 PM
Yup, did them freehand mostly.

Markertek is a good source for stuff like that....

http://www.markertek.com/MTStore/Store.cfm?Search=storyboard

As you poke around, you'll find things that are very useful, according to your workload. If you start doing longform stuff, you might want to consider a scripting program. You can also set up most word processors with a vertical divider (Script/Video) and that way you can keep track of your script and corresponding shots.

Whatever you do, make sure you are comfortable with the workload and what you are trying to accomplish. If scripting/storyboarding is a bear that takes a lot of time and effort, you might want to consider another avenue.

Bottom line is, use what you're most comfortable with to get the job done !

lwaddict
11-14-2003, 08:31 AM
Storyboard quick and/or FrameForge are great.

Storyboard Quick for the down and dirty...

FrameForge for totally correct camera angles,
it's really a lot like Poser (which is much cheaper) but
runs via OpenGL or something really really fast.

They're both great and have their uses...
and there's a demo for FrameForge out there.