PDA

View Full Version : Motion mixer. Sliders and more

vector
10-31-2012, 03:08 AM
I'm using the same character for exporting and importing an animation using motion mixer. I select all the nulls that control the character. Make them an actor and save animation.
Then I open another scene with the same character, select exactly the same items, create actor and load hmot and a message appears for each object saying there is no object called "master/hand_controller/etc" when all
these objects are in the scene.

Another thing is if I open the same scene from I exported the actor and animation it works almost correctly. I see the fK-IK sliders don't work correctly even selecting XChannels when exporting animation... or Should I export separately those channels?

RebelHill
10-31-2012, 04:48 AM
Yeah, motion mixer is just kinda odd. The way it works with actors and motions is kinda half baked, half scene based. Its the fact that selected controls get taken over by MM that kills of their IKFK switch behaviour, and other modifiers... but things that arent part, like IK controled bones, still respond "live" in the scene, and so on. Clever idea, horrible muddle to work with, esp when you have things like switch and slide controls, keys between null items and bone items, etc... As such the best way to use it is as a post tool. Once youve finalised your anim, and ur not gonna be changing posing, action, etc, you can bake the entire anim down to FK motion on bones, delete all the control rig, and then motion mix on clips of bones. So u can retime, join and mix motions, but not edit the internals of the motion itself anymore.

The other alternative is IKB, which lets u do much the same stuff, and using mixed items, motion controlers, etc, suffers the same problems as MM. But again, baked down just to bones is much easier. There's also the added benefit that u can use IKBs pose system to make additional animation changes on top. Once uve gotten to the point of baking down to bones, uve effectively been left with mocap, and IKB has always been good in LW for messing around with that.

vector
10-31-2012, 08:14 AM
Thanks, RebelHill... IKB is always my unfinished business