PDA

View Full Version : Grouping objects

Samoht VII
10-30-2012, 10:59 PM
So I tried to explain this a few weeks back but my post was pretty average with no details about the problem. Well I'm back and i need help on the same problem.

So I have a model in a layer with many different boxes and spheres and what not to make a fusion coil. Then I want to drop it from a height and have it fall down as expected. However when it falls all the individual objects break apart. How do i hold the whole thing together as one object.
Thanks

nickdigital
10-31-2012, 12:02 AM
If you're using Bullet see if your object is set to "Parts" under Type. Try changing it to Box. If you're using HardFX see if your object's Piece Mode is set to "Parts". Try changing it to 1Piece.

Sensei
10-31-2012, 05:17 AM
Just an idea - make 2-point polygons between them, untoggle Render Lines in Render Globals.
If it doesn't work, make triangles between them (can be even fake line-triangle), make new surface for them and make it transparent so it's not rendered.

Samoht VII
11-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Yeah that first suggestion works great. Is there an easy way to get a realistic drop. With it set up like the picture it drops onto the corner then slowly just tips over. Maybe a helpful plugin or something.
First time working with Dynamics but I feel like there has to be more options.

Thanks

nickdigital
11-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Yeah that first suggestion works great. Is there an easy way to get a realistic drop. With it set up like the picture it drops onto the corner then slowly just tips over. Maybe a helpful plugin or something.
First time working with Dynamics but I feel like there has to be more options.

Thanks

Do you have gravity set to -9.8 m/s? What are the settings for your collision object? Also which dynamics are you using? HardFX or Bullet? So many settings can be noodled with that it's hard to provide a one size fits all solution. But yes, getting a basic box shape to fall and behave as one would expect is definitely possible.

jwiede
11-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Do you have gravity set to -9.8 m/s? What are the settings for your collision object? Also which dynamics are you using? HardFX or Bullet? So many settings can be noodled with that it's hard to provide a one size fits all solution. But yes, getting a basic box shape to fall and behave as one would expect is definitely possible.
Much of the accuracy also depends on the scale of the object. If the object is large (10s or 100s of meters per side) then the described behavior might be "accurate", due to the way Bullet calculates object mass. Also, without constraints it's difficult to get compound objects to properly "crumple" and otherwise deform/react beyond acting like a big, solid block.