PDA

View Full Version : Talent Intercom Question

GeekNews
10-29-2012, 08:03 PM
When we do our events we usually have a tricaster operator, Livetext operator and if we are lucky someone else riding audio levels.

I can have 2 talents on air at a time with up to 2 guest, I also have the tricaster operator and livetext operator on their own channel as well. We feed the tricaster a single audio feed coming from a multi-channel mixer, we have some signal conditioning as well with a compressor gate setup so that we can keep the background noise down when we are off mic.

I have been trying to figure out a way to do a feedback channel to the talent. The way I run my audio now is the 6 audio runs 2x talent/2x guest/Tricaster Operator & Livetext Op are on there own channels. I was thinking that I could probably get away with a mix-minus solution to have a intercom back to the talent. Having never run a intercom for talent feedback or prompting kind of curious what kind of solutions everyone is using / hookup

I would expect that the Tricaster Operator, Livetext Operator would be the ones doing the talking back to us as they are already on headset.. Looking for equipment and integration ideas.

Todd..

PIZAZZ
10-30-2012, 02:52 PM
so your TD and GFX people actually talk on the broadcast ??

So you don't have an actual communications system with IFB ? ClearCom or RTS?

If I get the jist of what you wrote, you should be able to just use an AUX out on your audio board to feed a sort of IFB back to the talent.
I would use an Aux that is pre-fader. I forget on that board though if the mute actually mutes the input channel before the aux gets it or not.
It would be handy to keep the fader down (so your directions to the talent aren't on air) then just toggle the mute switch on and off when you need to talk to the talent. I would throw down a couple of ProCo PANIC switches to give the TD or GFX peeps the ability to either feed their headset mic to the broadcast or the in ears. That is if I read your post correctly.

Buy a couple in ear IFB headsets and cable them back to a Headphone amp that gets its input from the Aux out on the audio console.

Telex CES-2 Complete Earset with Coiled Acoustic Tube (http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equipment/Audio-Interface/Intercom-Systems/Telex-Communications-Inc/CES-2.xhtml)

Pro-Co-Sound-PANIC SWITCH (http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equipment/Audio-Processing/Feedback-Destroyers/Pro-Co-Sound-Inc/CDPB.xhtml?PRC-CDPB)

GeekNews
10-30-2012, 06:57 PM
For the most part the tricaster operator and the livetext operator do not talk on the air and they are potted down, but the way it is currently wired they can pot up and talk when needed. They double in monitoring the chat room and the talent may ping them for some comment or they may need to interject a comment from the chat room. we are all in a 10x20 space.

What is critical for me and what i need to solve there are times I want the tricaster operator or the livetext operator to say hey your over time wrap it up and only the talent hear this from the tricaster operator. I do not want the guest to hear that conversation. What we have been doing to this point is having the tricaster standup and point to his watch which is a little weird.

We do not really have anything more special at this point then having everyone on a separate channel on the mixer.

Lee-AVP
10-30-2012, 07:12 PM
A stack of Studio Technologies 230s and a small digital mixer, you could do anything you wanted. I say the 230 as it has direct integration with com systems.

Routable talkback channels and programmable behavior buttons and two coms channels mean you could set one button to talk to program, one button to talk to staff, and one button to IFB your talent.

kltv
10-30-2012, 10:04 PM
I do that in a similar way. I've got the talent listening to submix 1 on my Mackie 1604. There's a feed from the director station in the truck that runs into an input on the Mackie that I leave potted up and is only added to submix 1&2 (not 3&4 or L-R) so that whenever I want to talk to them, I just mash the PA button on the intercom and it is piped into their ears. If I wanted to talk on the air, I'd just add myself back into the main mix by hitting the L-R button on that input channel. I suppose if I wanted everybody to be able to talk, I could take the speaker line-level output of one of the two intercom channels, probably B and pipe it in the mixer.

Kris

PIZAZZ
10-31-2012, 10:04 AM
Cheap, simple and easy way is the way I mentioned in my post with some talent earpieces and some Panic switches.

Without a doubt a more complex and flexible setup can be done how Lee mentioned. From your post and what I know of your setup. The talent boxes might be overkill.

For the most part the tricaster operator and the livetext operator do not talk on the air and they are potted down, but the way it is currently wired they can pot up and talk when needed. They double in monitoring the chat room and the talent may ping them for some comment or they may need to interject a comment from the chat room. we are all in a 10x20 space.

What is critical for me and what i need to solve there are times I want the tricaster operator or the livetext operator to say hey your over time wrap it up and only the talent hear this from the tricaster operator. I do not want the guest to hear that conversation. What we have been doing to this point is having the tricaster standup and point to his watch which is a little weird.

We do not really have anything more special at this point then having everyone on a separate channel on the mixer.

Lee-AVP
01-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Are any of our dealer friends (Jef, Colin, Matt, etc) reps for Studio Technologies? I need to get a pair of 230s ASAP.