PDA

View Full Version : Pearlescent layered glass texture...

Taro Yoshimoto
10-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Here a bottle that I have to replicate in 3D. what bother me is that the texture is quite deep. Like there's 2 layers of glass, one frosty pearlescent at the back, and one glossy transparent at the front. However you dont see a double edge on the side of the bottle.

here some pictures:

https://dfassadmin.com/images/Page101_AsianRoutesOnly_SKII_CelluminationEssenceE x_800x800.jpg

How would you attack this one? A gradient on poly angle for the color but how to avoid a double edge on the side?

thanks

djwaterman
10-27-2012, 12:54 AM
Did they give you a product sample so you can properly examine the object? Exact measurements would be a part of the solution.

RebelHill
10-27-2012, 02:47 AM
Your best bet here, imo... is to create an internal "part" that has the pearly colour, then make the main glass body just glassy and see through. As for not getting the double edge... that's due to refraction. Dial it up till the edge disappears.

Taro Yoshimoto
10-27-2012, 04:02 AM
I dont have the object or measurement but modeling is not a problem. I got photos. Should be enough.

Rebel; there's cream inside the bottle that is visible at the bottom and top of the glass where the pearl finish let place to normal transparency. I'll need 3 layers at least.

You dont recommand using the dieletric material for the outside layer? I usualy just use a 90% transparent, 10% reflective, 1.333 refractive surface...

I've never made a perfect looking glass in LW. It's always a compromise to achieve a somewhat realistic look. Playing with settings... I still dont know if it`s best to use double sided polys or single sided...

UnCommonGrafx
10-27-2012, 04:13 AM
With materials, single.
As well, I understand the upgrades to the render engine to make double-sided needed on "old school" surfacing as opposed to nodal. 11.3, I'm speaking of.

prometheus
10-27-2012, 04:54 AM
I wonder if you shouldn´t try LW 11 Iridescence carpaint material for the inner substance, and dielectric for the glass?

Michael

XswampyX
10-28-2012, 09:32 AM
What about modeling your glass bottle. Then model it's contents and use the sigma node for the shading with a refraction shader plugged into the spec colour of the sigma node. Use a 'very' high value for your dispersion.

It doesn't use any gradient for the colour, the highlights just happen. So I reckon it's pretty close to the actual effect. You will need to adjust the lighting to get the shading you required.

Just a quick test..... hmm quite slow. :-(

Kryslin
10-28-2012, 03:07 PM
I tried using the Dielectric material for the glass bottle (IoR 1.6), and used the car paint material for the fluid inside. I got close, but I need to tweak it just a a little more before I post results...

Taro Yoshimoto
10-28-2012, 08:15 PM
What the hell is the Sigma node? --google google--

I did the model yesterday and this morning I am texturing it. Just starting now. Thanks for your help guys! Now I notice that the color of the bottle is not changing because of the angle. Shadows are blue and any highlights become light red-orange... easy to do in AE with a curve or a luminance mask but in LW?

XswampyX: That look pretty good! I would really like to see how you did that, playing with your scene! I am struggling with the standard settings now and almost decided to do the color shift in After Effect. I am no nodes magicien!

Taro Yoshimoto
10-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Here the real bottle in the sunlight. See how it reflect the white t-shirt...

http://postimage.org/image/3w9lxs1qx/

erikals
10-29-2012, 02:49 AM
maybe one of these...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?127028-60-favourite-surface-presets&p=1265271&viewfull=1#post1265271

Taro Yoshimoto
10-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Thanks Erikals! nice materials!

Here my first test. It need a lot more work, especially the bottle bottom, but It's enough for a first approbation by the client I think.

http://s12.postimage.org/vsnipiu8r/rumrumrum.png

erikals
10-29-2012, 10:39 PM
looks great! :]

(ps, not my materials ;] but some surfaces i got from presetcentral.com)

Taro Yoshimoto
10-30-2012, 08:17 PM
I have difficulty to understand the search engine of presetcentral... is the tags just the search? I feel I dont get much results out of it.

That is what miss in LW. A good set of included presets. Complex materials, pre-made rigs, pre-made motions, velocity curves, scene templates (GI backgrounds, studio settings, outdoor scenes...) That would not take even a month to do and bring back people to LW if the presets are good quality.

jwiede
10-31-2012, 12:44 AM
That would not take even a month to do and bring back people to LW if the presets are good quality.
While I definitely agree that LW needs a bunch of high-quality presets in all categories, I get the impression that most who left did so over more fundamental issues and inabilities than just lack of presets. Still, worth a try, and it'll definitely help make LW more accessible to (new) customers who've never used it before and are playing with the demo, etc.

50one
10-31-2012, 04:07 AM
While I definitely agree that LW needs a bunch of high-quality presets in all categories, I get the impression that most who left did so over more fundamental issues and inabilities than just lack of presets. Still, worth a try, and it'll definitely help make LW more accessible to (new) customers who've never used it before and are playing with the demo, etc.

QFA. Would be great to have at least 2 or 3 scenes with studio setup for instance, some materials etc. - We all know that Product Design is the bread & butter of this whole industry and that's why I like Modo approach, lots of presets that gives you fast ''look'' and Defult radiosity settings are good enough for most things - Time / Quality ratio.

Taro Yoshimoto
11-01-2012, 07:14 PM
"more fundamental issues and inabilities"

Yes, of course... there's a lot more important stuff to fix in LW but still, I always feel Newtek neglect the little things that make a software fun to use to concentrate on big crazy features that are nor essential to everyday use.

------------

I got another question: I am using the "surf mixer" shader to change the bottom of my bottle texture. However I notice that on the linked surface, I cannot use any nodes! nodes make no change whatsoever. Piss me off because I was going to use some refraction dispersion. Any way to achieve dispersion without nodes?? (or anyway to make surf mixer see my nodes?)

thanks