PDA

View Full Version : Tanadrine Studios Lightwave Tutorial Series: Improving Layout Playback/Performance

Ryan Roye
10-26-2012, 05:09 PM
In this video, I share some of the tricks I use to get Lightwave's Layout to work as smoothly as possible. As said in the video, if anyone has any of their own Lightwave optimization tips, have a more optimal method than is mentioned in the video, commentary or otherwise, I'd love to hear it!

http://youtu.be/N2DcuxN_2mQ

erikals
10-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Thanks, nice tricks!

btw, according to Cageman (who does a lot of this stuff) what really makes the scene play slow is deformers

anything with some sort of deformer applied to it (bones / displacements etc) will make the scene play very slow.
(if this is true, you could leave interiors etc without turning them off / deleting them)

Ryan Roye
10-26-2012, 05:38 PM
btw, according to Cageman (who does a lot of this stuff) what really makes the scene play slow is deformers

That makes sense because I noticed that if you have a lot of deforming things in a scene, go into bounding box mode, and then disable deform, Layout's speed can greatly increase even though visually nothing changed. My guess is that it operates this way for those who rely on "bounding box threshold" to animate geometrically dense characters, and if the deform didn't calculate it would not operate well for that kind of workflow... I'm also unsure as to other ramifications of having it not calculate in bounding box mode, such as procedural or geometrically-dependent effects.

erikals
10-26-2012, 05:43 PM
hopefully he can chime in here... :]
Cagey?...

also >

Lightwave test - Smooth Threshold Speed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czWBYThz-Zo

notice how a small Smooth Threshold value increases the speed in Layout (!) :]

erikals
10-26-2012, 06:00 PM
maybe MDD scan the first character, then instead of getting rid of the bones,
select all bones on the finished animated Character 1, then click Bone On/Off / Bones Off could help...
(would be good if you wanted to edit some bone movements later on...)

then animate Character 2.

if these tricks help (Smooth Threshold trick/ Bones Off trick) maybe you could just use 1 scene after all ?

(not sure, i guess one thing is what it does in theory, another what it actually will do...)

erikals
10-26-2012, 06:23 PM
another quote from Sensei > transparent polygons are slowing down OpenGL a lot.
(try to turn it off under Display > OpenGL)

also, many large textures can slow down Layout performance...

and, turn of all possible deformers before rendering to speed things up...
(not sure if this goes for low detail SubD too, but i would think so...)

Ryan Roye
10-26-2012, 06:39 PM
if these tricks help (Smooth Threshold trick/ Bones Off trick) maybe you could just use 1 scene after all ?

There's 2 things at play:

1) How smoothly the viewport actually moves around.

2) How smoothly the playhead moves when scrubbing the timeline.

You can have a perfectly smooth case of #1 and a poor-performance scenario with #2, which is what I run into constantly on my end. Tried your suggestions on my scene but no effect in my specific case (But they will come in handy later!)... I think it has more to do with the amount of stuff Lightwave is loading onto my 3.25 gigs of ram (making the pagefile get used) combined with a 32-bit operating system.

also, many large textures can slow down Layout performance...

Likely is a major contributor to the speed issues I have... and probably why the separate scene file works so well for me because it bypasses loading the extra textures alltogether.

edit: Transparent texture disabling works, but there aren't enough of them in my scenes to make too much of an impact. Something I need to remember for later though, as I loaded a previously done scene with lots of windows/holograms in it and it made a big difference.

silviotoledo
10-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Nice tutorials!

We want more IKBooster ones too :)

rcallicotte
10-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Thank you!

Darth Mole
10-30-2012, 09:27 AM
Nice to see Richard Dreyfuss is getting work as a LW video narrator...

RebelHill
10-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Best thing you can do for any LW thing involving animation, is to ditch deforms altogether and make proxies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqasigvT3qI

jeric_synergy
11-15-2012, 01:14 PM

anything with some sort of deformer applied to it (bones / displacements etc) will make the scene play very slow.
(if this is true, you could leave interiors etc without turning them off / deleting them)

And BAKED deformations will probably put it back up to speed, since no calc. Obviously, you have to be through with animating though.