PDA

View Full Version : FCP X output best for TriCaster

PCHIGH
10-26-2012, 11:25 AM
just wondering what output will work best with TriCaster from FCP X...seems we have a freeze type glitch with a standard QT .mov file...a DV seems to work better but I need solution (working at a high school and it really needs to be simple for the kiddies...and for me since I have to "re-teach" it on a continual basis...

many thanks

rally1
10-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Which Tricaster model?

PCHIGH
10-26-2012, 06:22 PM
sorry, TriCaster Studio

joseburgos
10-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Install the NewTek codec for OSX

- - - Updated - - -

Then choose NewTek SHQ 4.2.0

- - - Updated - - -

This is for any model TriCaster as a FYI :)

joseburgos
10-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Oh not the 4.2.0 portion and I only choose 4.2.0 because its a TC Studio but you can also choose 4.2.2 and both can have alpha by choosing the extra .4 (4.2.0.4 or 4.2.2.4).
OK I'm done :)

PCHIGH
10-27-2012, 12:12 PM
ok, I downloaded the NewTek TriCaster Codec Pack - Mac
unpacked the .dmg file, got the SHQ_installer
double clicked, got the "run" window
clicked "run"...nothing...
the files don't show up anywhere for me (not in the Library:Quicktime file where they're supposed to be, for sure)

SBowie
10-27-2012, 03:12 PM
I don't know all the details, but if you're running Mountain Lion, I think there have been some issues with Gatekeeper and the installer.

PCHIGH
10-27-2012, 05:14 PM
well, I'm running the mountain lion

SBowie
10-27-2012, 05:40 PM
I know engineering is aware of the problem, and expect a resolution before long. In the meantime, here's a workaround someone sent me on the topic (haven't tried it yet myself, as it wasn't an issue in my dev version of Mountain Lion:

Open System Preferences -> Security & Privacy, and "Allow Applications downloaded from anywhere". This is not enabled by default in Mountain Lion, so the installer fails with an error message stating that installation is not allowed is given. Please see this article for more info on Gatekeeper: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5290

PCHIGH
10-27-2012, 07:09 PM
I made the adjustments and still am not getting anything from the "run" command

SBowie
10-28-2012, 07:20 AM
Sorry, I'm not any sort of Mac guru. I know that worked for others, but am not sure what to suggest. Perhaps CS will have something to offer, or another user.

PCHIGH
10-30-2012, 07:34 AM
solution found...the ~/Library/Quicktime folder for the users is a hidden folder...all found and will be installed shortly to see if they work!

SBowie
10-30-2012, 07:42 AM
Well, yes, but I wouldn't have expected that to prevent the installer from working.

PCHIGH
10-30-2012, 08:37 AM
the install was quick...and the codec files were in the folder...NOW the issue is, what step am I missing to see them as an option (on the share menu) in FCPX...

SBowie
10-30-2012, 08:56 AM
For whatever reason, by default FCP provides access to only a limited set of codecs. Compressor will show the Newtek codecs, though (and, for that matter, so did iMovie the last time I looked), so you can create render presets in Compressor that you can use from FCP. (It's similar for Motion, as another recent thread discussed.)

PCHIGH
10-30-2012, 09:39 AM
will look up the procedure

thanks

mtash
10-30-2012, 09:03 PM
I am also trying to install this codec. However, I don't have Compressor and would rather be able to share to the correct codec from into FCPX.

SBowie
10-31-2012, 06:49 AM
I am also trying to install this codec.Apart from the need to sidestep Gatekeeper in Mountain Lion systems only (which is being worked on), installation is a snap. :)

However, I don't have Compressor and would rather be able to share to the correct codec from into FCPX.I agree. It's puzzling that the developers of FCP opted to limit native export options to such a small list. Anything other than a handful of alternatives requires you to own Compressor, and you don't even get access to the settings of the few codecs it does expose without it. For example, you can't use most of Apple's own Quicktime codecs, never mind ours. This seems particularly odd when you notice that even iMovie does not have these limitations ... nor does Avid Media Composer for that matter.

This all said, if you don't need an alpha, for an XD series TriCaster, you might find that one of the two XDCAM HD options in FCP's Export Media feature work ok (for an SD TriCaster or export, a DV Quickitime file would probably be fine). I haven't tried them, but they are very similar to one of NewTek's own Quicktime formats.

PCHIGH
10-31-2012, 07:02 AM
a fix that works...
IF you have Compressor 3 (old version) installed...
use Compressor to create Custom Presets for the SpeedHQ codecs
open {User Folder}>Library>Application Support>Compressor
Cmd+Click all those you made (SpeedHQ0.settings for example)
Control+Click and select "Copy # Items"
find the Settings folder in the same Compressor folder
open, Control+Click and paste them there

open FCP X, under preferences, add a destination
click the Compressor settings
the codecs should magically appear

NOW, I haven't done any "sharing" yet...but hopefully this will work

SBowie
10-31-2012, 07:36 AM
If you want to avoid all the rigamarole, having created the preset(s) in Compressor all you need to do is select "Export Using Compressor Settings" in FCPX's "Share" menu.

mtash
10-31-2012, 09:52 AM
Steve: I've bought Compressor 4. Now what?

SBowie
10-31-2012, 10:03 AM
Steve: I've bought Compressor 4. Now what?Here you go: forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?131251

PCHIGH
10-31-2012, 10:47 AM
I would have gone that way...but I don't have Compressor 4....and the Share option doesn't work with Compressor 3...(being a school, the software purchasing fund is non-existent there...)

SBowie
10-31-2012, 12:19 PM
Understood - been there. ;)