PDA

View Full Version : custom slicing of object (with spline?)

Wayne Heim
10-26-2012, 10:55 AM
I have a 3d model of a tooth. The client wants to select/highlight the different "areas" of the tooth. I can use the knife tool to cut a streight line for those sections where the division is streight except it cuts all the way through the model. But is there a way to say draw a spline on the surface and use that to "cut" the polys? Or even if it was not a spline. Maybe a way to click points/outline an area on the surface where you would like to cut in new geometery/lines/edges?

Thanks in advance.

Wayne

nickdigital
10-26-2012, 11:17 AM
You could select just the area you want to slice and then do your operation. This way you're not slicing through your whole object.

Wayne Heim
10-26-2012, 11:58 AM
You could select just the area you want to slice and then do your operation. This way you're not slicing through your whole object.

Thanks. I figured that part out but was more concerned with creating a custome "cut line".

W.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. I figured that part out but was more concerned with creating a custome "cut line".

W.

nickdigital
10-26-2012, 12:05 PM
You could also use the "Add Edges" tool though I think stenciling would be quicker.

Wayne Heim
10-26-2012, 01:30 PM
You could also use the "Add Edges" tool though I think stenciling would be quicker.

what is stenciling?

W.

nickdigital
10-26-2012, 01:38 PM
http://www.jqoc.com/soft/Lightwave-Tutorial/20071206/957.html

Sensei
10-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Try using this method
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud52wxYMygc
Draw spline, then extrude it and follow video tutorial..

prometheus
10-27-2012, 05:09 AM
you could try the csg slice command..hidden under utilities/additional..
You need to set up a cutting object in the background(geometry not spline), once the csg slice command is run, you will have an exact cut out/slice from that background object, it will create
two unconnected pieces..so if you want it as one segment you just have to merge points.
Generally this is for fracturing, but might work for you.

Michael